Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was The First Quilt You Made? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-quilt-you-made-t67090.html)

amma 09-27-2010 12:27 PM

Square in a square paper pieced blocks :D:D:D

MadQuilter 09-27-2010 12:29 PM

My first top was a sampler but it isn't finished (and probably never will). My first finished quilt was a full-size pieaced crocus in winter white, green and lavender. For my brother's wedding. The same year my sister got married too so she got a Log Cabin.

0tis 09-27-2010 12:30 PM

trip around the world baby quilt - then I was hooked...

plainpat 09-27-2010 12:34 PM

No 1 was a K size braid quilt,second was a log cabin & third was an Amish pattern....don't remember the name.All made the 1st winter we spent traveling after DH retired.When they were returned after the LA quilter quilted each with a diff pattern, I was overcome.

Wonky,bias....none of that mattered They were beautiful in my eyes & started my love affair with all quilts.Only another quilter can truly appreciate all the work & worry that goes into a quilt.

moonangel12 09-27-2010 12:38 PM

I made two basic square quilts for DH while we were dating - one in HS (a bit too small... I was young and didn't think through the height difference - I'm 5'4" so it was plenty big for me, but DH is 6'1"... Duh!). He requested a bigger one in college which he still uses today. My grandma helped me and we used cardboard for the "template" which was no where near square and of course I didn't realize how careful you have to be when tracing, cutting and sewing... needless to say I don't think I have a single corner that matches up! :lol: Oh, and both were tie quilts that had miscellaneous sheets and old blankets for "batting" - I paid for them myself so the cheaper the better!

cjomomma 09-27-2010 12:45 PM

My first was a baby quilt made of jeans in simple squares sewed together with a flannel backing and tied. I put it in the wash and it almost fell apart, LOL. So I went and bought a bunch of baby iron on patches to cover the places where it came apart. I had no idea what I was doing and that was 7 years ago. I put the whole quilting idea down and didn't touch it for a couple of years. Mind you though the quilt was very loved. I laugh everytime I think of that first one. The parents tell me they still have it.

JAGSD 09-27-2010 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first quilt I made was a sort of Log Cabin, at the time I had no idea what it was called or had no idea what I was doing other than making myself a quilt. My mother had made my oldest son one and I soooo... wanted one. One day I was at the Fabric store and seen some Horse print, so I just looked and measured the one my mother had made and came up with what I ended up with. At the time I did not know what a rotary cutter was, or WOF, or Log Cabin (as far as being quilt related). I drew my pieces on with a ruler and they were by the grain of fabric, and cut them out with a pair of scissors, and dutely pressed all my seams open( as was the correct way with sewing of clothes). (Thankgoodness for Rotarty Cutters!!) LOL. (The Quilt police would of had a hey day!) I have learned so much in the last 5 years and fell in love with quilting.

cherylynne 09-27-2010 02:45 PM

I think that it was a baby quilt made from sock monkey fabrics. It was an arrangement of squares and I thought that my first grandson would enjoy it. He's 3 now and had to took it to nursery school for his rest mat.

wolfkitty 09-27-2010 03:11 PM

My first quilt was a brick pattern, using red for the 'mortar', and browns, tans and yellow for the bricks. For the fabric, I used leftovers from clothing that I had made, and bought only one or two colors. I used a sheet for the backing, and tied it because I didn't know how to quilt.

lass 09-27-2010 03:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My first quilt was from santa claus samples that I had collected after doing pillows. I had 8. I hand stiched them to the block; did the sashing by machine and embroderied the quilt together using a holly leaf design. :oops: It was the hardest thing to do - to embroder through all those layers! :lol: