Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is a "float"when cutting 1/2 blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-float-when-cutting-1-2-blocks-t220417.html)

nightquilter 04-30-2013 08:19 PM

What is a "float"when cutting 1/2 blocks?

I am getting ready to make a quilt from Miss Rosie's quilt co.called 4OT, and while reading the cutting requirements it says pieces in the pattern is purposely cut larger to allow for squaring up of the blocks. And the size of the blocks are such that there will be a "float" between point of the inner sq. and the seam line. and the only way to get around that was with a 16th inch measurement or paper piecing.So can someone tell me what is a float in quilting terms?

BrendaK 04-30-2013 09:11 PM

Thanks for asking. I have never heard this term. I will be looking forward to the answers you get. BrendaK

DOTTYMO 04-30-2013 10:57 PM

I would have thought that the float was going to be more than 1/4inch to allow for trimming. Saying the smaller amount has confused me . Will wait for someone with more knowledge interested in reply.

Tartan 05-01-2013 04:32 AM

Without seeing the block, I would think it means that the unit is made oversized and then trimmed down to fit the required unit size?

GemState 05-01-2013 04:33 AM

It sounds like the point will not meet the seam line, so you don't have to worry about them not being EXACTLY ON the
seam line.

bigsister63 05-01-2013 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 6037427)
It sounds like the point will not meet the seam line, so you don't have to worry about them not being EXACTLY ON the
seam line.

Yes that is what it is. There is a small space/ couple of threads or a set measurement between the point and the seam. I made a quilt with "float" space for the points and it looked really nice. (at least I liked the look). It seems easier to have the points float but it is still important to have the space reasonalbly close in disatance. The pattern I followed said that you could have the points either float or not. the difference being in cutting /squaring the block to 1/4" seam allowance. To have the blocks float then you would square the block with 1/2" edges instead of 1/4" and sew the seam 1/4" to allow the block to "float".

Jan in VA 05-01-2013 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what "float" looks like.
You can use the same idea when setting a quilt "on point" by cutting the setting triangles larger than needed and trimming a bit after the whole top is sewn together. Leave enough 'extra' to allow floating of the design.

Jan in VA

Milli 05-01-2013 11:42 AM

U so smart, I love your brain, could I borrow it sometime, :D

pollyjvan9 05-01-2013 12:30 PM

Well said Big Sister and Jan

virtualbernie 05-01-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6038119)
This is what "float" looks like.
You can use the same idea when setting a quilt "on point" by cutting the setting triangles larger than needed and trimming a bit after the whole top is sewn together. Leave enough 'extra' to allow floating of the design.

Jan in VA

Thanks Jan! I still didn't understand until I saw the picture :thumbup: