Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What have your children learned about sewing/quilting from you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-have-your-children-learned-about-sewing-quilting-you-t166188.html)

Barbm 11-05-2011 04:11 AM

What have your children learned about sewing/quilting from you?

At work I was looking for the heavier staple remover. It has a flat front metal base and longer handle. My son works for me and I have an assistant. They start laughing as I get it out to use. Mary, my assistant, says- so that's what that thing is, we thought you left a quilting tool here. :)

Better yet- my son says, "you know in home wreck (I always called home ec class that) I got a test answer wrong because the teacher asked what something was and I put "jack the ripper". I didn't know it was a seam ripper." He said he went to the teacher and explained that's what his mom called it so she gave him 1/2 credit.

They had me laughing so hard. What do your kids say about you?

quiltinghere 11-05-2011 04:37 AM

Only one thing....mom can do it!

mar32428 11-05-2011 04:50 AM

First - that most clothes can be home made for a lot less money ( and a lot more stuff too)
Second - most clothes can be repaired rather than toss and buy a new one.
Third - sewing saves money
Fourth - Mom can either make or fix about anything
Fifth - a great respect for people's talent and creativity

MoanaWahine 11-05-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere (Post 4634647)
Only one thing....mom can do it!

I would agree to this one. If something breaks, rips, or who knows what, the kids will come running to me asking to fix it. I have even somewhat retrained my DH to do the same :rolleyes:

phyllis 81 yrs in Oregon 11-05-2011 05:00 AM

What my kids learned from my sewing?

Peg their own jeans back in the 1960s, Not to enter sewing room when Mom was working, stand and wait til she can take a break (what a life-saver this always was! Don't know how I did it, w/4 boys and a daughter in the middle.)
#3 son told me when he was 12 years old, "Just work a little harder, Mom, you can get it". He is now 58 and still thinks that way!
Never say "can't", say "I can do that!" It works.
Their proud Mom

moreland 11-05-2011 05:05 AM

My kids learned how to use the sewing machine, but as adults their motto is "Mom will do that". I think I've been a little too willing! My oldest daughter who sewed a lot as a teen, is just now brushing off her sewing skills and using them again (she is 50). Maybe some of the others will too eventually.

grammy Dwynn 11-05-2011 05:11 AM

Another ~ Mom can fix/repair/hem it!! :) BUT on the other hand DGK's have shown some interest in sewing.

lizzyq 11-05-2011 05:21 AM

My daughters have learned that they don't have to sew because I can. My seven-year-old granddaughter, however, has learned that sewing and quilting are fun and exciting. She loves fabric and free-style sewing. She'll sew some pieces together and then decide what she's making and go on from there to make it.

quiltinghere 11-05-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine (Post 4634747)
I would agree to this one. If something breaks, rips, or who knows what, the kids will come running to me asking to fix it. I have even somewhat retrained my DH to do the same :rolleyes:

The other day one DD brought home her friend's child's coat to ask that the button be sewn on. The Friend didn't have a needle and thread....guess what she's getting for Christmas? A small sewing kit with needles and thread and small scissors :)

sewwhat85 11-05-2011 05:52 AM

All three of my daughters can sew by hand and with a machine all of them have made quilts and two of them are into quilting. they have learned it is cheaper to shop at moms house.