Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is this? Hoping you can help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-hoping-you-can-help-t199930.html)

willferg 09-08-2012 01:04 PM

What is this? Hoping you can help!

1 Attachment(s)
Our Project Linus chapter got a recent donation with lots of these beautifully embroidered squares. There is plastic on the back -- some sort of stabilizer? -- that makes the blocks crinkly when you bend them.

What could/would someone use these for? I thought coasters, but the edges aren't perfectly finished, although they are almost completely satin stitched. Some white interfacing shows through.

It looks like someone put a lot of work into these (there are a lot of them) but I don't know how to put them to use. Any advice is appreciated![ATTACH=CONFIG]361321[/ATTACH]

icon17 09-08-2012 01:09 PM

Have you tried taking just one and getting IT wet warm H2o to see if The 'Plastic' dissolves? OR Ironing one down to see if the Plastic is a Iron on Stuff?

moonwork42029 09-08-2012 01:11 PM

could you piece them together (with plastic still on them) and put a backing on ... use as a diaper changing pad?

romanojg 09-08-2012 01:14 PM

I do embroidery and this is what I'd suggest. The other kind of stabilizer is a tear away.

RedGarnet222 09-08-2012 01:15 PM

I am guessing here. But I am thinking they are small quilt blocks with the stabilizer still on them from the embroidery. Try tearing it off.

These can be used to make little zip cosmetic bags or insets on a purse?? Depending on the size of them that is.

mermaid 09-08-2012 01:16 PM

It looks to me like stabilizer..a wash -away type. In fact I have a brand (old) in my stash called 'Stitch n Spray' that must be kept in a sealed plastic bag or it dries out & is ''crinkly'' as you described. I would suggest you soak one in water & see what the result is. In fact, I quote from my pkg...."Occassionally when a sprayed item dries, the area where the Stitch n Spray had been, may feel a bit crisp. This is due to remaining residue which will wash away during laundering". As a rule it can be sprayed w/water after embroidery, or wiped w/a wet cloth to remove all remainder. You can tear away as much as is possible. I used it frequently for topping a napped project. Now there are other brands to choose. The donor probably tho't it should remain on the blocks until your project was completely finished & then laundered.

icon17 09-08-2012 01:17 PM

I'm a 'Linus' Too and We get Quilts sometimes we can't use just because of One small little thing, a stain,small hole,ete.. If you do finaly get the crinkly Out these could BE great for such as This!

maryb119 09-08-2012 01:36 PM

Water soluable stabilizer will get hard like plastic if it has not been washed away. It gets hard as it ages. Try washing the pieces and see it it disolves.

kathdavis 09-08-2012 01:43 PM

I think it is embroidered blocks that can go together like a quilt as you go quilt. The plastic is probably stabilizer that can be torn off.