Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I don't like about variegated thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-dont-like-about-variegated-thread-t233150.html)

Holice 10-24-2013 10:20 AM

What I don't like about variegated thread

I don't like variegated thread if it has a strong change between the shades/colors. Too often this sets up a completely different pattern in the color change and distort the section on which it is used. I like those which have subtle changes. It blends better.

QuiltE 10-24-2013 10:34 AM

I totally agree!

I love my Aurifil thread ... but was disappointed with their variegateds as they have that distinct colour switch instead of a nice subtle shading blend from one to the next. The darker section of the thread is the problem, and ends up looking like loose threads are scattered on the quilt top.

I have had one spool of Sulky variegated ... it was much nicer for the colour switching and did not give that look thread look!

Tartan 10-24-2013 11:04 AM

I always end up with the dark portion on dark fabric and the light on light which doesn't show the quilting at all. If I am using variegated, I want it to show! I think Superior variegated at least tells the distance between the thread colour variations?

SueSew 10-24-2013 11:17 AM

I'm with you Holice, and Tartan,
- in fact I have never found a variegated thread I liked. Dark on light, light on dark, invariably! If the values in the blocks are not very different, and the values in the variety are not very different, I think it might work better.
The LQS recommends it to me, saying it will blend in beautifully, I get suckered into buying a spool, and when I try it on a sample block before I start FMQ I give up and throw it in the bottom drawer.
When I want something to shout out CLEVER!!! YOO HOO!!!! LOOK AT MY FMQ!!! then maybe I'll be ready for variegated. Not there yet!

DebraK 10-24-2013 11:22 AM

King Tut has some nice subtle blends.

Knitette 10-24-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6366269)
King Tut has some nice subtle blends.

I agree - also, their colour change is at 1 1/2" intervals, so there isn't the big areas you get with the ones that change between 5-12".

QuiltE 10-24-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6366241)
I always end up with the dark portion on dark fabric and the light on light which doesn't show the quilting at all. If I am using variegated, I want it to show! I think Superior variegated at least tells the distance between the thread colour variations?

Can we buy the Superior Threads here IRL or only online?
Where do you purchase yours?
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6366295)
I agree - also, their colour change is at 1 1/2" intervals, so there isn't the big areas you get with the ones that change between 5-12".

I don't know the Aurifil spacings, though not long distances, so I am thinking more like the 1-1/2" you mentioned.

What I did not like about the Aurifil variegateds was that while the colour switches blended well for the first ones, then there was a a huge jump to a dark. eg. 1-2-3-4-8 (numbers representing the gradation change)

QuiltnNan 10-24-2013 12:33 PM

i've started using my variegated for piecing as i don't like it for quilting either :)

petthefabric 10-24-2013 01:46 PM

At PIQF there were LA's set up with varigated threads. Innova had black fabric with light metallic varigated. All the colors showed beautifully for the demo. Another had a light fabric with a varigated from white to dark. It was very interesting as it looked like it was quilted about 6 inches, then a skip, lot's of movement.

Is there a varigated thread with ~15" between changes? What brand? I'm trying to teach FMQ with a change in the pattern for every color change. 1 1/2 " is just too fast.

meyert 10-24-2013 01:51 PM

I love King Tut variegated threads. I have tried several colors and I have liked them all. I do know what you mean about the light being on light and the dark being on dark tho.. and it is a little disappointing. I especially like the variegated thread on the decorative stitching... then the variations really mix together