Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What i have learned.... a quilting funny rehashed... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-have-learned-quilting-funny-rehashed-t197928.html)

Barb in Louisiana 08-19-2012 03:55 AM

I love this list. I have experienced at least half of them....and the rest...now that I know about them, will be ready for them! I can add one that most will never experience. Being in the Deep South & using a converted garage as a sewing room created a unique experience. And, yes, I do have a window ac unit that is pulling out a lot of moisture.

If your sewing area feels too humid, it probably is. Buying a dehumidfier before your stash & cotton thread starts to mold works better than trying to get the mold out. Glad I bought one with a hose connection. Much easier to let the water go down the drain than empty that bucket all the time.

Side note: Wish I could ship all this rain up to the Midwest. We are drowning & they are so very dry.

Normabeth 08-19-2012 04:42 AM

This is great. I can relate to too many of these items - just a part of quilting life. LOL

jcrow 08-19-2012 04:59 AM

so good! one more. don't buy something you misplaced. wait a day or two and when you move your fabric, you'll find it underneath.

bearisgray 08-19-2012 05:01 AM

Another one:

Sometimes the PATTERN and/or INSTRUCTIONS are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

sandy l 08-19-2012 06:47 AM

And another one..Allways make sure your sewing machine needle is threaded.:o

Deborahlees 08-19-2012 07:16 AM

We have all been there and done that.................for sure......
If it all went smoothly, all the time......where would the adventure be ???????????????
It's always a question of WHAT is going to happen next ????????????????

LenaBeena 08-19-2012 07:18 AM

May I add more..............THINK before you agree to sew Shakespearean costumes, when told "Oh they look complicated, but they're really simple."............. even though he thinks he is, your 3 year old is not "helping"....................... have a friend nearby to say "very" when you look at a million piece quilt and ask "how hard could it be?"................... and finally throw out any directions that start with "simply" or "just". :)

sapdoggie 08-19-2012 07:40 AM

If it is " so simple a child can do it " - Let the child do it !

bearisgray 08-19-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 5451300)
And another one..Allways make sure your sewing machine needle is threaded.:o

And the needle is put in the correct way.

An iron heats better when it's plugged in. (I like to unplug mine when I'm wandering away - even though it's supposed to have an automatic shut-off)

Remember to take the cords along for the sewing machine(s) when one goes to a class or retreat - and mark them with some kind of ID!

Neesie 08-19-2012 07:58 AM

Never tell anyone how long a project "should only take."