Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I heard at JoAnn's store today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-heard-joanns-store-today-t213037.html)

BellaBoo 02-05-2013 10:04 AM

What I heard at JoAnn's store today

A store employee was talking to a customer and said she the rumor going through the stores was that JoAnns was getting the contract to take over Walmart's fabric and craft dept. She didn't know more about it and it was just being talked about by the store manager. Hmmm, could be a good thing or maybe not.:eek:

NikkiLu 02-05-2013 10:24 AM

WOW - that is interesting!!! Bet they won't be able to have coupons as WalMart does not put coupons in any of their ads, etc.

humbird 02-05-2013 10:43 AM

Unsure how they might do the coupon bit.........if at all, but I have wished for a Joann's in our town, so maybe it would be a good thing....for me anyway........then again, maybe not. Guess we'll find out if it all comes to pass!

Gramie bj 02-05-2013 10:48 AM

As far as I know Joann and Wal Mart are separate stores, don't see this happening unless one bought out the other.

BellaBoo 02-05-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 5840311)
As far as I know Joann and Wal Mart are separate stores, don't see this happening unless one bought out the other.

A contract is independent like the Vision center or mcDonald in most Walmarts.

MamaInRed 02-05-2013 10:58 AM

I noticed when I was recently in Wal-Mart fabric department they had added a very small line of Designer Home decorating fabrics. I thought it was kind of odd considering how small the department is now to waste the space with more expensive fabric.

I truly hope it is only a rumor. Our JoAnn's has gone down hill. What they carry is not always great & they are far to expensive. It is rare you can even use an in store coupon, as items are alwasy on sale.

Buckeye Rose 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

You have to remember the important words here....RUMOR.....WalMart will most likely not give up its fabric department to a private contract.....WalMart will examine the profitability of the fabrics, then determine if they can make money selling them.....If no profit is there, then they will discontinue fabrics entirely, like they have in some stores already.....WalMart doesn't want anything to do with the restaurant business, banking, optometry, etc......and none of those businesses compete with what WalMart has to sell.....the craft department at WalMart would be in direct competition with anyone selling craft items.

ThreadHead 02-05-2013 11:14 AM

I hope not --@&$

dakotamaid 02-05-2013 11:18 AM

Stores have been known "lease" space to another. In Lincoln NE the Shopko stores lease space to Payless shoes so it is possible. Employees for the individual areas are separate too. Shopko also have their shoe area. So never say never!! Strange things have been known to happen. :)

LavenderBlue 02-05-2013 11:32 AM

Hopefully this is just that - a rumor. If it happens, I truly hope not ALL of Joann's fabrics are sold that way.