Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned during my first FMQ on my DSM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-during-my-first-fmq-my-dsm-t148108.html)

SharBear 08-26-2011 05:35 PM

Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

That changed my whole perspective. Of course, if you have your DSM set into a table you aren't going to be able to swivel it 90 degrees. But if you don't -- give it a try and see how it feels.

Just-Lee 08-26-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

That changed my whole perspective. Of course, if you have your DSM set into a table you aren't going to be able to swivel it 90 degrees. But if you don't -- give it a try and see how it feels.

Great idea! Thanks!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Kitsie 08-26-2011 06:31 PM

Loved your post! Maybe you could do it with water soluble thread, wash it, then do it all over again! No need to keep making quilts!

Way to go!

DogHouseMom 08-26-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
What all are things you have learned during a first or subsequent session of FMQ on you DSM?? Tips? Tricks? Giggles??

Sneezing during FMQ makes some pretty unpredictable results.

Ditto for hiccups.

And ... predict when the project will be finished and make an appointment with the chiropractor for that date.

SewExtremeSeams 08-26-2011 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
HI Mellie,
Just this morning I was FMQ on my DSM and realized I was not as tense in my shoulders as I have been and am began to feel as though I was starting to make some progress. I have found that working in smaller areas (blocks) on doll quilts is helping me. In practicing to begin working on a doll quilt, I set up a smaller quilt sandwich to practice what was in my mind's eye. Here are a few photos to show what I was doing. Hope it helps and encourages you.

I am also finding that doing the more dense FMQ in smaller areas is giving me better control for when I do a larger quilt than a doll quilt.... I hope.

Side note: I do suggest
a. FREQUENTLY stopping with your needle down and turning the fabric in a better direction to continue going where you want to go
b. going off, if you can, to the side of the sandwich to get a fresh start
c. actually getting up and go do something else for a short bit (maybe view a few topics on this board). I found I was pleasantly refreshed when I returned.

:-D

Not sure if you can see jagged lines, etc. that are NOT perfect. Some lines are just plain covering up my machine going where I didn't want it to go... LOL!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247221[/ATTACH]

Peckish 08-26-2011 06:58 PM

I think I taught myself a few new words... rofl! :lol:

Painiacs 08-26-2011 07:56 PM

Thanks for the tips' just learning!

Jingle 08-26-2011 08:15 PM

Your work looks great. I usually find myself clenching my teeth, make jaws hurt, I need to chew some gum. My Cockatiel tries to hollar louder than the sewing machine when I do FMQ. Tomorrow will be perfect weather so she is spending the day outside in her smaller cage. She makes me too tense when I'm trying to relax.

helen31406 08-27-2011 02:56 AM

A friend showed me a trick to make help visibility and help back strain. Put a doorstop under your machine to angle it toward you. If you have your machine in a cabinet, you can angle the whole cabinet.

SunlitenSmiles 08-27-2011 04:04 AM

i have an 18 x 18 practice block that i warm up on and 'write' my name or my childrens name to check how much it looks like my handwriting - this gives me an indication of PROGRESS !!!!!!and the weird thing of the cabbage patch doll mouth, guilty of that here, i am remembering to breath and i think today is the day i will try wine ! oh, and swinging the machine around really helped, been doing that all week. Good Luck all happy FMQ