Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned at quilt retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-quilt-retreat-t202831.html)

Maureen 10-16-2012 07:54 PM

I'm going to a retreat this weekend. Ill be very careful picking my seat!!!

uniquedesigner 10-16-2012 08:19 PM

I have not went to a retreat but want too. I will remember this. I am glad everything worked out for you.

barri1 10-17-2012 04:06 PM

Now that I've read all of what goes on at retreats, I can't wait to go on one. I would only be able to do it on a weekend.. Does anyone know of any coming up within two hour drive from NYC? I think I would bring stuff to do that doesn't require concentration, such as putting my postage stamps together to make the quilt.. I'm not very advanced in my quilting skills as I don't have much free time, so simple that doesn't take much concentration would work fine.

Monroe 10-17-2012 07:00 PM

I've been to a few retreats and experienced the space stealer, cell phone yakker, and several others. I'm a former nurse. While at a country retreat a lady fell and hurt her leg badly the first morning and I took her to the local clinic, then unfortunately 30 miles away to the hospital, spending my entire day. Got back with her at dinnertime now seriously loaded on pain pills and couldn't be left alone due to other medical problems. Her friend/roommate promised to come back from the sewing hall after dinner to take care of her. Right- she didn't show up til 11:30 pm telling me about all the sewing she'd finished! I lost an entire day of the retreat. My sewing space had been misappropriated and it was not easy to reclaim it without repeatedly removing the sprawler's stuff - coincidentally the roommate. I now refuse to put up with unacceptable assigned seating so I can actually enjoy being with folks and get some sewing done. I learned an expensive lesson to be assertive and not allow anyone to spoil or waste my retreat time. I've had other much more fun experiences getting to know the women in my Guild better. If there are games being played- participate only if you wish to. Some have dinner themes, games, PJ parties, alcohol available, group blocks being made for a charity or raffle quilt, etc. For me- the point of going to a retreat is to learn and have fun with others rather than sewing at home.

leahbug 10-18-2012 03:08 AM

I went to my first retreat in June 2012 with all the reservatations of attending my first one. I am going back in 1 week and looking forward to seeing everyone.

peaceandjoy 10-30-2012 05:47 PM

Barri - How'd you make out with the storm? Hope all is okay!

The one I went to in October was in Lake George. There are several there each year, although that's probably a lot further than you are wanting to travel. Check with any local quilt shops or guilds; they should be able to steer you in the right direction!

Aria 10-30-2012 09:13 PM

I've been lucky. My friend and I have been going to the same retreat for about 10 years, now, and it's run very well, and we always have a great time. I have to tell you about the first one, though. Would you believe it... I brought everything BUT my sewing machine. Luckily the instructor had brought an extra machine and it was the same brand as my friend's, so she was elected to show me how to thread it, etc. But it wasn't hard to learn. AND... my friend forgot her underwear! :) Had to make a quick trip to K-Mart! :) We're old hands now, and welcome any and all newbies.
Gerry

Holice 10-31-2012 08:00 AM

Why must we feel that we have to accommodate someone else's rudeness? You paid for the time and expect certain courteseys from other members of the group. Talk to the leader of the retreat and/or just explain to the offender how you feel. Why must you be the one having to deal with this.....and adjust.

Gladys 10-31-2012 08:08 AM

Congratulations that you were able to find a corner for yourself. Isn't it amazing how different people are?

CorgiNole 10-31-2012 11:05 AM

I've been to many scrapbook retreats over the past decade - some I return to on an annual basis. I'm still looking for a quilt retreat to try (NC region). Unfortunately my son's hockey schedule interferes with one of the guild retreats that I'd like to attend.

The thing that makes me most uncomfortable is sitting in the middle of the room, I much prefer a wall at my back - mostly so that I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Varying amounts of work get done which depends on my motivation (lots at the retreat in May where I worked on Gus's Scout album) not so much in February when I got sidetracked by a crisis at work (I was the one leaving the room to take calls and finally took a walk on the beach to calm down).

I do prefer retreat rooms where the music is your own choice (via headphones) as I've been driven from a room by horrible music in the past (really nice people with a hideous taste in music...).

Funniest story a friend told me from a retreat that I missed attending. These were shared 8 foot tables. When C arrived, she put a piece of masking tape to divide the table in half and told her table mate (we'll call her A) to just let her know if she was intruding on A's space. C is a social being (as am I) and wanders around to chat with friends a lot. Each time she returned to the table, she noticed that she had managed to intrude on A's spot, and moved her stuff back. What she didn't realize was that every time she left, A moved the tape by about 3 inches (very patient practical joke played by an unsuspected character). By the end of the weekend, C was down to 2 feet of space and completely oblivious to the smaller real estate on the table until her friends pointed it out to her. Much hilarity ensued.

Cheers, K