Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned at quilt retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-quilt-retreat-t202831.html)

luvstoquilt 10-10-2012 05:06 PM

I LIKE your style!!!

joyce888 10-10-2012 05:49 PM

I'm sorry I had to laugh when I read your post. Thumbs up to you for moving and avoiding the disasters. Me, I would of been the one frozen in place and trapped by the selfish slobs and vowing to never go to another retreat. Good for you for not wasting your time or money.

Helen S 10-10-2012 05:57 PM

Glad you found your "comfort zone". Nobody should have to retreat from a retreat! lol
I sure wish people could be more respectful of others.

cowgirlquilter 10-10-2012 06:00 PM

Wow are retreats really worth it?

LyndaOH 10-10-2012 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter (Post 5576871)
Wow are retreats really worth it?

Having just returned from a retreat I have to say resoundingly YES! I have yet to have a bad time at one or have a neighbor that annoyed me. I spent all of my waking hours sewing with my friends with breaks to have meals with my friends. There were about 85 quilters there and it was wonderful to see all of their work. Our next one is in January, and we'll have another in March with this same group. Meanwhile, we're planning our own smaller retreat sometime over the next year.

I don't think I've had as good a time anywhere, so I highly recommend it!

BellaBoo 10-10-2012 07:52 PM

Oh, I love the retreats held here in my town. It is certainly worth it. I have made great friends that show up for every retreat. The rules are posted and you'd think adults would know to follow them. There is no assigned seating, first come, first pick.

gotta-sew 10-10-2012 10:33 PM

A retreat is what you make it. You will either have a good attitude and sew, and learn and laugh or not. As for me, I love them. I always talk a little, laugh alot, sew a bunch, teach a ton, help with a smile, meet new friends and enjoy old and precious ones. It doesn't get any better, your with other quilters for goodness sake! What's not to love. If cell phones bug......then have a vibrate only rule and go outside to talk, easy peasy. Someone brings a machine they don't know, the host should take care of that. I have pitched in many times and in 30 minutes or so, problem solved....basics taughtand we are "all" on our way. I just came from one this last weekend and it was AWESOME! Did I help others with their machines? Yep. Did I help others with their projects? Yep. Did I still get 3 quilt tops done? Yep. You help others and they help you. It's what we do, along with laughing, joking, teasing, eating and just having the best time ever.

QM 10-10-2012 10:51 PM

In my guild' retreats, the rudeness of this would have been 'splained' to her. I'm glad you were able to shift.

barri1 10-11-2012 02:50 AM

Needed the laugh early in the a.m... I would be the one that never went to a retreat, and not know to move before it was too late. I hate being a snot, but love my quiet time with a machine, and I'm there to learn. Cell phones aren't a problem. It's the people that are using them, and their entitlement.

indymta 10-11-2012 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5575486)
Glad you made it work ... you are lucky there were options to move.

Most times there are not, and you are "locked in" whether you like it or not!

This my experience...assigned placement. My last retreat I was next to a woman whose machine rattled not only the table but my teeth too. Made it difficult to work and concentrate. Not a fun weekend.