Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What if i use Polyester? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-if-i-use-polyester-t110210.html)

bamamama 03-24-2011 03:53 AM

I have alot of a fabric that I'm sure has some polyester in it and I would like to use it in a border. What will happen if I do? Will it perhaps shrink differently than the rest of the quilt? I did not prewash anything.

cjomomma 03-24-2011 03:57 AM

I have used poly blends with cotton and have not had any problems. I don't prewash either.

Kat Sews 03-24-2011 03:59 AM

I use poly blends with no problems. You can also use it in the body of your quilt top (and back). The quilt won't wrinkle as much as cotton when you wash it and will stay new looking longer.

gollytwo 03-24-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have used poly blends with cotton and have not had any problems. I don't prewash either.

ditto

rusty quilter 03-24-2011 04:00 AM

I have used poly blends with for years with no problems. They will not fade over the years as fast as the 100% cotton will though.

grann of 6 03-24-2011 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I have alot of a fabric that I'm sure has some polyester in it and I would like to use it in a border. What will happen if I do? Will it perhaps shrink differently than the rest of the quilt? I did not prewash anything.

It won't shrink as much at the cottons. And it "wears" differently. Over time the cotton part wears away, but the polyester just hangs in there. Look at some old shirts from the 70's; they never wear out, but look thin. It also has a different sheen than cotton. I don't mix the two, personally, only because they seem to have different feels and drapiness, but I don't actually see it as a problem. Just remember it is your quilt and you can do as you please. I would prewash all the fabric first, though, when mixing fabrics so that any shrinkage is out of the way before assembly of the quilt. Just have fun :!: :thumbup:

ckcowl 03-24-2011 04:35 AM

poly blends normally shrink very little if at all...the colors do not fade; i would not worry about using it, if it works for your project use it; it will be fine.

QuiltnNan 03-24-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I would prewash all the fabric first, though, when mixing fabrics so that any shrinkage is out of the way before assembly of the quilt.

This is good advice. I always prewash for another reason, as well: If the fabric is 'wonky' or out of shape on the bolt, it will straighten in the wash. Then cut pieces do not change shape after washing, especially if the pieces are larger.

mimom 03-24-2011 05:52 AM

I've used cotton for the blocks and a poly blend for backing and border and had no problems, it was just a matter of money at the time.

Prism99 03-24-2011 08:32 AM

Polyester does not fade over time; cotton does. That's one of the reasons why polyester is often not mixed with cotton in a quilt top. Years down the line, after all the cottons have mellowed and faded, the poly colors will look bright as ever.