Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What inspires you quilt color choices. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-inspires-you-quilt-color-choices-t21910.html)

QuiltyLisa 06-26-2009 04:55 PM

I was just wondering what inspires other folks color choices for quilts?

Mine usually is a object I find, one was a piece of china, one was my daughters prom dress another was a rose I had in the garden.. Just curious about others.

Lisa

BlueChicken 06-26-2009 05:00 PM

I'm going through a "focus" phase... where I see a bit of material that I really like with lots of colours, and then add in other fabrics that will go with it.

But I'm finding myself more and more looking at nature, something catches my eye and I think "oh, those colours would be awesome!"

amma 06-26-2009 05:03 PM

I am like a little kid and am drawn to any brightly colored shiny object :D :D :roll: I like to see how I can use dark colors to set them off even more.
Two fabrics I found are so bright they almost hurt your eyes...one is oranges and the other is pinks :lol: I just had to have them 8) 8) 8)

Bill'sBonBon 06-26-2009 05:12 PM

Most of the time it is the kind of block I am doing. But if I have a piece of material that has multiply colors, I pull the colors from there to see if I can match them and usually I can get several different shades of several colors and it seems to work.
BillsBonBon

Shemjo 06-26-2009 05:33 PM

I look for a focus fabric and coordinate with it. Then when I am in among the fabrics, whatever catches my eye is what I NEED at the moment, which I why I am limiting my trips to the LQS until I find a place to put what I already have! :?

Boston1954 06-26-2009 05:39 PM

The sky, the grass and the earth. My favorite colors are blue, green, and brown. Quiet, calming colors.

cutebuns 06-26-2009 05:49 PM

what ever takes my fancy, might be some embroidery that I am putting in, might be a piece of fabric, my mood plays a part, sometimes it depends on who the quilt is for. Depends on the block or blocks. It changes more than the wind does.

Ninnie 06-26-2009 05:54 PM

I love bright colors. But most of the time I work with values
Say I need 10 dark values, 10 medium values and 10 light values to make a quilt. Some how with the type of quilting I do, they always come together. right now I am piecing a red and white quilt, but I have 20 different reds in it! I have tried to make quilts with only 2 or 3 fabrics and I just can't get into it. LOL

kluedesigns 06-26-2009 07:02 PM

i've always been drawn to color. if things aren't colorful i actually feel like my retina is hurting.

i take my color ques from nature and when i studied natural surroundings i discovered that all colors go together and its value and tone that makes them play well with each other.

Lisa T 06-26-2009 07:29 PM

I am with Klue on this one- I loooove color and I agree that all colors match if you mix them right.

I love scrappy quilts, so they usually have every color in the rainbow in them by the time I'm done. Why make a two color quilt when you can have 40 or 50 in there? LOL!

A lot of the quilts I make are gifts, though, so I try to match them to the giftee's house or something I know they like. If it's a wedding gift, I will use the wedding colors. I try to make it personal.