Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Items Do I Need For Making A Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-items-do-i-need-making-quilt-t128390.html)

stitchengramie 06-06-2011 03:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I already have a 24 x 36" cutting mat, a 12 x 12" rotating self healing cutting mat. Two rotary rulers size 4 x 8" and 6 x 12", a 45mm rotary cutter,sewing machine, fabric, thread and other basic sewing supplies.

Can you think of anything else I might need?

Thanks,
Mary

QuiltingGrannie 06-06-2011 03:47 AM

You are off to a good start.
What pattern are you using?

Other thing to have handy - bandaids! Whether you cut yourself with the rotary cutter, stick yourself with pins, or a needle you will (eventually) need a bandaid.

Also once you get your quilt top done you will need batting and basting pins.

A camera so you can post pictures of your progress and your finished quilt!

Happy Quilting!

Plumtree 06-06-2011 03:59 AM

I know it sounds silly but an iron and ironing board.
I hadn't really ever sewn before my first quilt and didn't know that you should/had to iron after ever seem. You can imagine how my first quilt looked, lol, not pretty and not easy to quilt.

clem55 06-06-2011 04:06 AM

A simple pattern and pretty fabric. And don't forget a seam ripper!! And, I would suggest getting the little gripper pads to stick to the bottom of your rulers. Holding that ruler still was so hard for me!You need a container to keep all the pattern pieces in as you cut and sew too. It is easy to misplace those little things. Now get started and have fun!!

paulswalia 06-06-2011 04:24 AM

If you are following a pattern, you need to be able to sew a quarter inch seam. Does your machine have a 1/4 inch foot? If not, measure your regular sewing foot and find out if the outer edge (or some other easily recognizable feature) is 1/4 inch from the needle. Sew some sample seams and measure them after. Are they a true or scant (just short of) quarter inch. If not, figure out whether you ahve to move your needle position or chose another location on your foot to run the edge of fabric along. Then - JUMP IN!!!! The water's fine!

donnacollierbess 06-06-2011 05:34 AM

Remember to get a couple of chop-sticks from your local chineese resturant. They are great from making sure the cornors of your quilt look like square cornors. Handy little tool. A tape measurer is handy too. Have FUN!

mimee4 06-06-2011 06:26 AM

Patience with yourself. Give yourself plenty of praise each time you sew a seam. As you continue to learn more and more, you will add to your rulers, pins, sewing machine feet, spare rotary blades, more colors of thread. Definitely take a class or two - you learn a lot and meet the nicest people.
And best of all, have fun with the project.

Holice 06-06-2011 06:28 AM

dI would suggest a good book on basic quiltmaking

KarenSimon 06-06-2011 01:07 PM

Don't forget the seam ripper. That's that thing that does the frog-stitch -- Rip-it, Rip-it.