Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Janome is comparable to a Babylock Espire (also Symphony)--would like to change. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-janome-comparable-babylock-espire-also-symphony-would-like-change-t203856.html)

AngelinaMaria 10-21-2012 11:28 AM

What Janome is comparable to a Babylock Espire (also Symphony)--would like to change.

I got a Babylock Espire last year used from my LQS (it is comparable to the Symphony without embroidery) and haven't really like it except for the nice features like thread cutting, large extension table, automatic threader, moving needle to left or right, ease of using the display panel and chaning stitches, etc. My Espire has very uneven, messy looking stitches (the straight stitch as well as most of the decorative stitches just don't stitch out very nicely). I have an older Janome and was looking at some stitches from that machine last week and realized how much nicer the Janome stitch was.

I am considering trading in the Espire for a comparable Janome. Not sure if I should be looking at the 6600 or the 7700. Can you give me ideas and things I should consider when looking at either of these Janome models? I would like to be as well informed as possible and would like to hear people's perspectives if they have gone from a Babylock to a Janome or vise-versa. The customer service I received from my LQS after purchasing the Babylock was horrible so I don't look forward to giving them more business but they are the only large dealer in the area and the only Babylock or Janome dealer in a huge area. What type of price difference should I expect as well?

Treasureit 10-21-2012 11:42 AM

I think the comparable to your Espire might be the Janome Horizon....but not sure. I have heard good reports on the 6600...oh Dah...the 7700 is the horizon...dumb me.

AngelinaMaria 10-21-2012 11:46 AM

I thought the 6600 and 7700 (Horizon 7700) were comparable but it looks like the 6600 is smaller and I defintely don't want to lose any throat space. The throat space and extension table is the best part of my Espire!! The reason I am even thinking about getting a new machine after having this one for just one year is that it has been having problems in the bobbin area and skipping stitches and just seems unreliable.

DebraK 10-21-2012 12:01 PM

price wise, the 6600

QuiltE 10-21-2012 12:09 PM

I don't know your Espire, so can't give you any input.

The 6600 and 7700 are very similar ... 7700 has the bigger throat space and a couple more bells and whistles. However, there are a couple on the 6600 that are not ont he 7700.

I bought the 6600 a little over a year ago and while the throat space seemed huge to what I'd had, I am already thinking I want something with more space. I've been considering the 7700, though do not see it as much of a jump to what I have, so have been holding off for now. Need more time to do the education part for an informed decision if and when.

The comment you made about your dealer would concern me more than about the machine switch. That being said, I have no idea how the Babylocks and Janomes compare in general.

If you have not been pleased with the service for your Babylock ... would you really think it would be any better on the Janome, when you are dealing with the same people?

I understand your problem though ... local dealer is very important to me too ... though quality of service is more important! JIMHO

LyndaOH 10-21-2012 12:17 PM

The pricing on the Horizon 7700 is going down because Janome is coming out with two new machines. If it hasn't come down below $2000 at your dealer's, it will soon. I've heard prices as low as $1700 lately, with extras thrown in. I have it and I love the space it gives me to quilt. The 6600 is also a great machine, but two inches less harp space at about 9". If you can hold out for a few weeks you may get a great deal on the 7700.

AlienQuilter 10-21-2012 12:49 PM

So sorry you are having trouble with your Espire. I have an Espire and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's heavy and a pain to take to quilt class. You must have bought a lemon.

snipforfun 10-21-2012 02:55 PM

I love my 6600 but am interested in the new machine Janome is revealing this week

Joset 10-21-2012 03:03 PM

oh i just bought a horizon (7700) oh wow i love it. you wont be
sorry but i like janome machine. this is my fourth one.

tjradj 10-21-2012 03:07 PM

I have the Janome Horizon 7700 and absolutely love it. Originally it was running about $3000 Can. The prices are coming down now that the new model with embroidery came out - it's basically the same machine with embroidery added. The Horizon has the bells and whistles you mentioned, and as Janome does, it comes with all the different feet, and a large plexiglass extension table. If you have a sewing table that lets the machine drop down, you may want to check if it will fit. This machine has the 11" throat which is GREAT for quilting, but it does make the machine larger and some tables will have to be custom fit. There is a SewEZ and also a Gidget II table available that do fit the larger machine.
FYI, I was at my dealer last week and they were advertising a "new" Janome quilting machine. It is the Jem Platinum. - It's a cutie - it has a lot packed into it - but it's a 3/4 size machine, made for portability - it's only 12 lbs. I think they mean it to compete with the Singer Featherweight in size, but with a lot more features.