Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of bag do you use for EPP/hexi quilt travel projects? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-bag-do-you-use-epp-hexi-quilt-travel-projects-t201662.html)

Happy Treadler 09-27-2012 09:06 AM

What kind of bag do you use for EPP/hexi quilt travel projects?

I really think that this new project of trying a hexagon quilt has kind of given me OCD. I'm finding myself obsessing on patterns and techniques and colors, etc. I've been SO inspired by all of the pictures of the quilts members here have made.

What I'm recently curious about is what kind of bag works well for traveling with my hexi quilt project. Been looking on Amazon and all over, but I thought maybe someone on this list has one that they love and works great for them. Why try to re-invent the wheel, right? At the moment I'm using a small bag with a hard plastic container, but I'm thinking maybe a bag with clear pockets or something would be better?

Trina

woody 09-27-2012 01:07 PM

I use a hard plastic folder,(the kids used them for their first reading books at school) it almost an inch deep and around 10"x 7". It holds the fabric pieces, and then I have just a small plastic container for my needles and thread and small scissors. Have a look at at a stationary supply shop, I'm sure they will have something inexpensive that will do the job :) I just put them into any bag I am taking with me.

lynnie 09-27-2012 01:14 PM

I use ziplock, snacks for paper, reg for the fabs. And the big one cor the clowers when theyre complete all in a tote bag i mDe, of ourze. I use that...rather uze what i have, more money for fabrics!!!!

Happy Treadler 09-28-2012 06:11 AM

Yeppers, I have been using zip lock bags, too. BUT, after a bunch of time searching on-line yesterday I found this: http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2011/07/...vel-totes.html I thought it would be really cool to see if I could make one. Yet another project. :) Sure wish the gal would have done a tute on it!

liont 09-28-2012 06:26 AM

I use my son's pencil case. I put inside a stack of fabric cut outs, a stack of hexi cards, a roll of thread, a small snip-er and a tomato pin cushion with a few pins struck on it. I refill in batches. It works well for me.

humbird 09-28-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler (Post 5546761)
Yeppers, I have been using zip lock bags, too. BUT, after a bunch of time searching on-line yesterday I found this: http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2011/07/...vel-totes.html I thought it would be really cool to see if I could make one. Yet another project. :) Sure wish the gal would have done a tute on it!

This is actually quite simple. I have made several of them for gifts etc. I used pre quilted fabirc. (of course you could quilt your own) I used 4 sandwich size ziplock baggies. Cut fabric to size for the bags. I made mine longer so I could do a pocket on each end. Use bias tape all around, place the baggies with opening away from center, over lapping a bit at the center. 2 going each direction. Sew down the center over the baggies. I use 2 rows of stitching about half inch apart. Put a piece of tissue paper over the plastic so the presser foot will slide over the plastic. Stitch ribbon to tie shut. Probably clear as mud! Don't have photos.

I do use this as a take along for hand work (Hexagon's)

Happy Treadler 09-28-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 5546933)
This is actually quite simple. I have made several of them for gifts etc. I used pre quilted fabirc. (of course you could quilt your own) I used 4 sandwich size ziplock baggies. Cut fabric to size for the bags. I made mine longer so I could do a pocket on each end. Use bias tape all around, place the baggies with opening away from center, over lapping a bit at the center. 2 going each direction. Sew down the center over the baggies. I use 2 rows of stitching about half inch apart. Put a piece of tissue paper over the plastic so the presser foot will slide over the plastic. Stitch ribbon to tie shut. Probably clear as mud! Don't have photos.

I do use this as a take along for hand work (Hexagon's)

It IS clear as mud, and I just may try it! If the Dollar Store has the thicker plastic pencil bags, I think I'll use those instead of the zip lock baggies only because they'd probably last longer. Maybe do little elastic thingys on the one end for small scissors & thread? Just think it would be nice to have something purty & useable for the bag that goes everywhere with me! :)

Veronica 09-28-2012 07:56 AM

I use a small Vera Bradley bag that I found in a thrift store, it about 8x12 with 3 sewn in section on each side of the interior for a total of 6 slots. Each slot I keep something different in, like thread, thimbles, paper templates, etc. It works great for me. The center is large enough to hold finished flowers. The bag had a zipper so nothing falls out when traveling.

Happy Treadler 09-28-2012 07:58 AM

That Vera Bradley bag sounds PERFECT. AND it sounds like the perfect size, too. I never seem to have any luck at thrift stores. :rolleyes:

BellaBoo 09-28-2012 09:08 AM

The see through zippered pencil cases are much sturdier then the zip loc bags. I think sewing several of the bags between a folded quilted placemat would be quick and pretty.