Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what kind off batting you use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-off-batting-you-use-t147940.html)

Elsie 08-25-2011 08:26 PM

i use polyester because that what i can afford and i get it at wal -mart some people say that wal- mart poly is no good in many years after putting it in, it will knot up but some of us can't afford batting that cost a lots i am on a budget even poly getting higher now day

Maride 08-25-2011 08:35 PM

Do what is right for you. To tell you the truth, I quilt because it makes me happy. I don't care how a quilt will hold years down the road. You could use the most expensive materials and give away a lovely quilt that may end up in a dog's crate (seen it). What matters is that it brings you joy. You may venture into other kinds when you can afford it, but in the mean time don't stop doing it just because it may not hold later. I am not in a situation where I can spend any money, so I am making small quilts. Bought a roll long time ago and stretch it by using little bits at a time.

Holice 08-25-2011 08:36 PM

If the wallmart batting has tissue paper rollef inside the batting then it give problems because the tissue is what keeps it from sticking together and a beast to work with.
But Wallmart sells major brands and their quality batting.
So just because you bought it at WallMart does not mean is is inferior. But watch about the tissue paper. I know from experience.

Annaleehunter 08-25-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie
i use polyester because that what i can afford and i get it at wal -mart some people say that wal- mart poly is no good in many years after putting it in, it will knot up but some of us can't afford batting that cost a lots i am on a budget even poly getting higher now day

Quilt on, sister! I only use high end batting when I can afford it and when I have coupon's! Quilts are special, not matter what batting you use.

greensleeves 08-25-2011 08:49 PM

Just remember to check how close the quilting should be, otherwise once its in the quilt no one knows where it was bought. Just quilted two quilts for a customer using Walmart bought batting and they are so soft and comfy. :)

TeddyB1967 08-25-2011 09:04 PM

I think of it it this way, 50 to 100 years ago there were no quilt shops or walmarts. People used what they had on hand to make quilts. What fabric lines that were available, most couldn't afford it. A lot of these quilts and their batting still exist.
I use what I can afford. If I make one that holds up for the next 5 or so years, I got my moneys worth and it was well used.

Elsie 08-25-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
Just remember to check how close the quilting should be, otherwise once its in the quilt no one knows where it was bought. Just quilted two quilts for a customer using Walmart bought batting and they are so soft and comfy. :)

do you use poly

trif 08-25-2011 09:11 PM

I prefer warm n natural cotton, that being said, I only purchase on sale or with a coupon. I have heard many people even use old blankets and re-use as batting. Basically do what you want and with in your budget. Keep it affordable so it will remain pleasurable and NOT stressful.

smitty 08-25-2011 09:14 PM

I really like :Hobbs 80/20. but recently tried Hobbs Polydown and it is so soft & low loft. cotton
"sticks" better for machine quilting. just don't use too
thick, it is hard to work with. have fun !

KSue 08-25-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie

I use what I can afford and how I want the quilt to look. I use both poly and warm and natural. I have a quilt that I made(back in the 70's) out of two bed sheets and a poly batt and I tied it. I still use it today and it is one of my most comfy quilts ever. KSue