Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of a stencil or quilting pattern should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-stencil-quilting-pattern-should-i-use-t110843.html)

okiedee 03-26-2011 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am almost finished with my Disappearing Nine patch. This is my first pieced quilt..it is a busy pattern.
So I am unsure of what kind of stitching pattern to use ...I am going to be hand quilting. Should it be an over all pattern, or since there are so many circles in the fabric design, should I just draw different size circles, I can use plates for the circles.
I could buy some stencils, if necessary.
I have it almost sewn together...just a few strips to finish.
I have attached a photo. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Hugs, Dee

Fabric pieces not sewed together yet,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175148[/ATTACH]

janRN 03-26-2011 07:39 AM

Very pretty, Dee-the colors are striking. I think I'd just do all over circles; different sized plates would work and I think would really add to your quilt. Love it.

sassyg 03-26-2011 12:10 PM

Love it.....first of all you're a brave soul and secondly yes I would do circles :thumbup:

gunny148 03-26-2011 01:17 PM

The circles would make a nice finishing touch, i have been working on a "Ice Crystals" pattern doing it by hand stiching each Diamond, triangle, and square. Been on it for way to long. i"ll not do that again..

greensleeves 03-26-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
you are doing this by hand, I would use your plate like you stated and make concentric rings I.E. Olympic rings all those curves would make the quilt just pop

Great idea, overlapping circles will hide any slight errors you might have--not that you would, but I would.:)

incoming2me 03-26-2011 04:01 PM

I like the overlapping circle idea - following the same design as the black fabric with white rings.
Great job!

jaciqltznok 03-26-2011 04:10 PM

hey, that looks great...I did a swap online a couple of years ago with B&W&Bright patches, the bright is in the middle..our goal was to do the D9P..yeah..that was the goal....not to let it sit in a tote for 3 years...hhhmm...need to work on that I guess..thanks for sharing!

jaciqltznok 03-26-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by okiedee
I am almost finished with my Disappearing Nine patch. This is my first pieced quilt..it is a busy pattern.
So I am unsure of what kind of stitching pattern to use ...I am going to be hand quilting. Should it be an over all pattern, or since there are so many circles in the fabric design, should I just draw different size circles, I can use plates for the circles.
I could buy some stencils, if necessary.
I have it almost sewn together...just a few strips to finish.
I have attached a photo. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Hugs, Dee

for the quilting find all the ROUND things you can..cups, bowls, etc and PLAY on some paper first...I think the rings would be really cool!

AngieS 10-09-2011 01:47 PM

Very pretty!

aborning 10-09-2011 02:29 PM

I also did a Disappearing 9Patch in black red, adn white but didn't use as much white as you did. I really like yours.