Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the largest width? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-largest-width-t223850.html)

LovingIzabella 06-16-2013 02:20 PM

What is the largest width?

That can be quilted? I know length is generally not an issue but how wide is it safe to go before a top becomes unquiltable?
Hugs
April

nativetexan 06-16-2013 03:14 PM

are you talking about space between quilting lines or the size of your quilt? I'm thinking you mean the size. That depends on your domestic sewing machine throat space mostly. Although some quilters do wonders with only six inch of space and they quilt king size easily. Not me though. you start in the center and quilt towards what is under the throat space. turn and do the other side. hope this helps.

dunster 06-16-2013 03:43 PM

If you're sending the top to a longarmer, then it depends on the width of her longarm. Mine is 12', but that doesn't mean I can quilt a 12' quilt on it; some space is needed on either side for excess batting and the width of the sewing head. Also you can quilt any width quilt on a domestic sewing machine by quilting in sections. See Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections.

ckcowl 06-16-2013 04:33 PM

it depends on how you are quilting it- where there's a will, there's a way! some people manage to quilt some HUGE quilts on their domestic machines, some people choose to quilt large quilts in sections- then join the sections...and if you plan to send it to a long-arm quilter you need to check with the quilter- different long-arm quilters have different size tables/machines- the very first large quilt I made wound up being HUGE...as in 12 foot x 14 foot! (144" x 168"!) I took it to a long arm quilter---he did a fantastic job...and I paid ALOT! after that quilt I did really work at learning to make them stop growing. ;)

alleyoop1 06-17-2013 04:42 AM

That all depends on the quilting frame that will be used to quilt it. I have a 120" frame, but wouldn't be able to quilt a 120" wide quilt. Probably wouldn't try anything over 110". If you plan on sending it out, contact the long arm quilter who will be doing it for you and ask them how wide they can go. If you want it much wider, then I suggest you do it in two parts and stitch them together once they are quilted.
My first quilt was a king size quilt for my bed. It's approximately 110" wide and has a nice drop on each side. I sent it to a lady who has a Gammil Statler Stitcher and she did a wonderful job on it - but like ckcowl said, it's pricey!

feline fanatic 06-17-2013 11:08 AM

the largest rack size I am aware of is 14' (168") but it is entirely possible there are bigger ones. On a 14' rack you probably could not load anything bigger than 150" wide.

happyquiltmom 06-17-2013 01:28 PM

If you hand quilt with a hoop like me, there is no limit! :)

The largest I've machine quilted on my domestic machine is queen size.