Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What long arm do you own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-long-arm-do-you-own-t69906.html)

Bubblegum0077 10-13-2010 06:35 AM

Just wondering if anyone regrets getting their long arm machine one brand over another. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexperienced person who wants to buy one what to look for and what to ask.? What about buying a used machine? and repairs for it?

kathy 10-13-2010 06:40 AM

I think the Bailey is about as inexpensive as you can get one. I paid right at $1000 for my 15" in 2008, do not regret it for a minute. now the frames are pretty high I think, I got a GMQ Pro for about $1800, it was a package deal. there is of course a learning curve, it's not as easy as it looks when you watch someone do it. I had watched so many videos before I got mine I just knew I'd be a pro in a week! NOT! :shock: as with anything else you continually get better with practice.

KathyAire 10-13-2010 06:42 AM

Go to a quilt show and test drive every one that is set up.

MamaHen 10-13-2010 06:43 AM

My suggestions are to try before you buy! Decide if you want one just for yourself, or do you plan to make a business out of it. For oneself, I think a smaller mid size like the HQ 16 or the Avante, Babylock Jewel, or others are best for the home user. The price are fair. If you want to go into the business of doing others, a larger one would probably be in order. Mostly it all depends on what suits you, what you like and how much you want to spend. I have the HQ Avante, glad I got it. It is easy for one to learn to use and serves the home quilter just fine. If I decided to upgrade to a larger one, it would be the HQ Fusion or an A-1.

MaryStoaks 10-13-2010 06:59 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18 and love it. I bought it used from a seller an hour from my house. She had the machine serviced before I picked it up and everything was/still is perfect. Whatever machine you buy delivery or pick-up is an issue. I only considered machines within driving distance and we rented a small delivery van at Uhaul to move it. I've never regretted buying my Lizzie but you should check out all the different machine brands you can. Like anything else : different strokes for different folks.

quilttiludrop 10-13-2010 07:08 AM

I am very happy with my Gammill Premier Plus (18" throat). I have a 12 ft. table with it. We have converted our former garage to be my sewing room. :-) Sometimes I think I would like a larger machine, but then it would be heavier (require more muscle to push around).

charismah 10-13-2010 07:11 AM

I have an INnova...it is the best!

whinnytoo 10-13-2010 07:15 AM

I have a Nolting 17" Fun Quilter and it has been fantastic. Am now upgrading to a Nolting 24" and selling the Fun Quilter.
the staff at Nolting is wonderful, always ready to help. I highly recommend their machines.
Diane

amandasgramma 10-13-2010 07:23 AM

I have a Pfaff Grandquilter 18.8....and I'm VERY pleased with it. I can use ANY thread I want and I just tried different fabrics in a test run and discovered I don't have to adjust the tensions.

BKrenning 10-13-2010 07:59 AM

I started with my domestic sewing machine (Elna 7200) on a B-Line Studio frame. You can do meanders, stippling and small designs easily with that. You just have to roll up the quilt more often & break designs into smaller sections. I then got bitten by the bug big time when I saw a PC Quilter in action at the Paducah quilt show so added that and Max Throat to my setup. Max turned my 9" machine into a 16" machine when I wanted to do larger designs. A deal on a Voyager 17 with stitch regulator came up that was too good to pass up so I now have a Voyager 17 SLR on a Pro-Flex frame. I haven't used it very much yet and am keeping my old setup until I've convinced myself it will work as well as my old toy--LOL. I'm sure it will. I just haven't had the time to put it through it's paces yet. It is setup, timed & tested so it's ready. There is a quilt in progress & 3 tops laying on it right now that need to be finished before Christmas so hubby & the kids are going to have to feed themselves for a few weekends before then!