Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what machine to buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-buy-t26438.html)

ranger 10-03-2009 05:22 AM

I'm sure this question has been asked before but------ what is a good sewing machine to buy?
The feature I want the most is a longer space for quilting ( there's a name for that space but I don't know it). Right now I just have a small Singer and quilting a queen size top is frustrating. I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you.

ranger

pocoellie 10-03-2009 06:14 AM

First recommendation is that you stay away from the low end Singers. Elna's Quilter's Dream has a large bed, but you didn't give a price range and it's a fairly expensive machine. My 2 cents worth.

bebe 10-03-2009 06:41 AM

Buy the best you can afford!!!! I have a Bernina. If you are buying an expensive machine take the classes they are helpful and let you learn about your machine better. Also if you buy from a dealer it is best but pick one near you. I do not like to buy machines at Walmart, JoAnns they do not offer any help if you are in a jam. Now some JoAnns have a Viking dealer and that is also a good machine. Shop before you drop any $$$$$. :wink:

This is a long term investment like a car. It will last for years and give you many years of enjoyment :D :D

lfw045 10-03-2009 06:41 AM

Although I love the older, metal Singers, I have fallen in love with the Janome machines. You sound like you are looking for a machine with a larger throat for quilting.

A price range will help in deciding. There are a lot of good machines out there.

Rose Marie 10-03-2009 06:45 AM

I have the H.Viking Sapphire 830 with the 10 inch throat. It makes a big difference when doing free motion.
I paid 1100 for it when it first came out several yrs ago. It is much cheaper now. They make a 850 that does embroidery but it was too expensive at the time.
It is also hard to find a table to set it in flush because of the size. I bought a Burtha cabinet that was extremly hard to put togather but managed.
It is heavy so not a good choice for taking to classes.

MadQuilter 10-03-2009 01:31 PM

What other features are important to you besides the larger throat area?

I made a list of what I HAD to have, what I WANTED to have, and then I started reading reviews - lots of reviews. My top choice is Pfaff, but I would not shy away from a Janome either. It just depends on what you want, what works for you (test drive), and what dealer gives you the best deal.

Prism99 10-03-2009 04:08 PM

The throat area of the machine is called the harp. The Janome 6600 has a larger-than-normal harp. That would be a great machine to get as long as you already have a free arm for hemming pants legs, etc. When I was at the fair this year, I think it was priced around $1600 -- very reasonable, I thought, for the quality of the machine. It has a built-in even-feed foot, scissors-cutting of your thread ends at the touch of a button, incredible number of embroidery stitches, etc. (Can you tell I wanted one? 8) Couldn't justify it because I already have a Bernina 1230, also a wonderful machine. It just doesn't have the oversized harp or the scissors.)

littlehud 10-03-2009 04:26 PM

I bought my Juki on line for $599. It has a 9 inch throat and works great for quilting big quilts. It may be a little more now.

LynBlair 10-03-2009 08:20 PM

I had the Janome 6600 in my home for about a week and returned it. It wasn't a bad machine, I just wasn't in love with it. The even feed on it was not at all comparable to a Pfaff, even though I was hoping it was.

I decided on the Brother Innovis QC 1000 for a larger harp machine and it is miles beyond the Janome. The price is also comparable. I wasn't sure about buying a Brother, but this machine has changed my mind forever. It's top notch in every possible way. It has a mind blowing array of features and the stitch quality is superb. Check it out if you have a dealer in the vicinity...even if you have to travel a bit.

Just for the record, I also have a Pfaff 2056 and a Bernina 440QE, so I'm comparing it to top notch machines.

Good luck and have fun searching!,
Lyn

ranger 10-04-2009 04:54 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I appreciate it. I think my best bet is to try out some of these machines to get a feel for what I want and like.

ranger