Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What made this fabric turn yellow???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-made-fabric-turn-yellow-t34233.html)

barnbum 01-15-2010 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was pawing through my closet for a blue. This one was perfect, but look at the yellow!! It looks like it started on the fold lines. This piece has been in my closet for years--not exposed to sun in any way. Is it just from age--and quality? It seems to be a nice close weave. I'm going to toss it.

Darlene 01-15-2010 03:40 PM

It looks like a stain maybe you could wash it out.

Barb_MO 01-15-2010 03:43 PM

I've had some do that. I have assumed it was from household dust and smoke.

feline fanatic 01-15-2010 03:44 PM

Don't toss it away, toss it in the washer. It looks like it would come out. Also a lot of it isn't stained and you could take your cuts from areas that aren't yellow if it doesn't come out. If you still aren't happy with it, donate it to good will. Don't leave it for a landfill, I am sure someone would be happy to have it.

Maride 01-15-2010 03:46 PM

I would give it a wash before considering tossing it. Maybe you can rescue some of it for a small project.

Charlee 01-15-2010 03:52 PM

If you're really going to toss it, toss it my way! ;)

barnbum 01-15-2010 03:53 PM

There's never been smoke in here--from cigarettes--ever. We do have a wood furnace, but this piece was in the back of a closet--behind other fabrics. Another blue piece I pulled from a back pile had some too--but in streaks--not on the fold lines. These are old pieces, but I thought that didn't make a difference.

The reason I wouldn't use it is because I wouldn't want the "good" parts now to become yellow in the future--while it's in a quilt! That would be terrible, esp. if I sold it! And if I gave it away, I'd want the person to see what was wrong. I'd not add it to the landfill--I'd use it for something else--I meant toss it from quilting purposes. :wink:

They're in the washer now.

Shadow Dancer 01-15-2010 04:16 PM

Is the closet painted or plain wood shelf? Wood will do that to fabric. It will come out, it's just from sitting for so long.

barnbum 01-15-2010 04:19 PM

The closet walls are painted white, and the shelves are wood, but I covered them with fabric or batting before putting fabric in.

They're in the dryer now... that will set the stain if it didn't come out, but I won't use it if it's still there. Oh--I hope it washed out. These two blues are the perfect hue for this baby quilt. I think the second one I found will be fine, but the one I posted is the worry one.

I checked a bunch of other fabrics and they're fine.

Shadow Dancer 01-15-2010 04:35 PM

Any part of that shelf not covered will cause yellowing of fabric. I had a closet lined with pine and all my clothes stored in there yellowed down the sleeves and over the shoulder area.