Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What made you get the "itch" for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-made-you-get-%22itch%22-quilting-t35179.html)

Sharon - NC 01-26-2010 12:41 PM

For me, it was attending my cousin Shirley's funeral (ovarian cancer at age 51) and seeing all of her beautiful handwork that was on display around the room. She left so many beautiful heirlooms for her children. I asked her sister/my cousin to teach me how, since she was also a quilter, and we met weekly throughout the next few months and I learned the basics of hand piecing and hand quilting as I did a table runner.

In 2007 I started to practice piecing nine-patches and my daughter asked me to make them into a quilt, and I started working on that. I got my own cancer diagnosis in dec of 08 and I couldn't bring myself to work on the quilt. Can't explain it, but I felt kind of like working on it was admitting I was dying. I know ... doesn't make sense. Anyway, after my surgery and getting good lab reports back, I picked it up again and didn't put it down until I finished and gave it to her for Christmas.

Now I'm working on a quilt (ordered the fabric last week), warm wishes, to make and give to a first-time chemo patient through the sunshine box project (www.fightingcancerinc.org). I'm going to machine piece and either do simple hand quilting or tie it, since I want to be able to make it quickly so I can make MORE for other patients. I'm really excited about it and my goal is to do six this year ... which may be insane but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it! :roll:

amma 01-26-2010 12:46 PM

(((HUGS))) You are awesome to think of others going through this!!! :D:D:D

I had to quit doing so much handwork, I always loved quilts and one day I came across some gorgeous patterns online, and haven't looked back since!!! :D:D:D

samroberts01 01-26-2010 12:46 PM

For me it was two things, One my grandmother has always given us quilts, so I have always wanted to quilt. She is the one who turned me on to this board! Two, My son was very sick as a baby and was int he hospital and had surgery at 5 months old to remove a web that was in the jejunum of his intestine. During that stay he was given two quilts that were donated to the hospital along with books and so many volunteers who read to him at the hospital, so I wanted to be able to give back to those who had helped us when we were going through a rough time.

Sharon - NC 01-26-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by samroberts01
For me it was two things, One my grandmother has always given us quilts, so I have always wanted to quilt. She is the one who turned me on to this board! Two, My son was very sick as a baby and was int he hospital and had surgery at 5 months old to remove a web that was in the jejunum of his intestine. During that stay he was given two quilts that were donated to the hospital along with books and so many volunteers who read to him at the hospital, so I wanted to be able to give back to those who had helped us when we were going through a rough time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Is he doing better now?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-26-2010 12:53 PM

Quilts are pretty. I've always liked to sew. The kids are big enough so I have tons of free time. It just all came together. then I found the board and now I have to quilt so I can stay!

thismomquilts 01-26-2010 01:01 PM

I slept under antique quilts as a child and loved the comfy feel even then - I wish I had them now!!! I just love sewing and started quilting!!

MistyMarie 01-26-2010 01:19 PM

I tried to make a quilt for my upcoming wedding when I was 19. The pattern was flawed, and so was my sewing. It was a wedding ring pattern with curved seams (which was WAY to advanced for me.) I ended up not getting married and the quilt was stashed away. (I still have it in pieces.) Then, my senior year in college, I had to give an informative speech, so I talked about quilting traditions and where blocks got their origins. (I still have that speech on VHS.) Through the research, I really got bit by the quilting bug. My mom gave me an old Montgomery Wards machine - that I still use occasionally) - and away I went. I have been quilting ever since.

cminor 01-26-2010 01:24 PM

I have an aunt that has always been very crafty - but not really my style. She is big into buttons and Fairy's (SP?) Then my husband's grandmother - who he lost touch with - came to our wedding 5 years ago and gave us a king sized quilt. I think the squares are maybe 3x3 and each is tied so a lot of work went into it. It is the best wedding gift I have (well a close second to my husband!) and I sleep with it every night. I only meet her once and she just passed away 2 weeks ago - but I think of her every night. That quilt got me interested in quilting.

MamaBear61 01-26-2010 01:26 PM

I have always had quilts in my life, my grandmother and mother-in-law made lots of them over the years, but the thing that really got me into it was the fact that Mom always made every new baby in the family a flannel tie quilt, she believed that every newborn deserved this gift. Mom was taken from our family by cancer, but I wanted the tradition of baby quilts to family members to live on so I became the one who goes to every baby shower with a flannel tie quilt as a gift. But I just couldn't stop there so many fabrics and patterns and so little time :lol:

Sharon - NC 01-26-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I have always had quilts in my life, my grandmother and mother-in-law made lots of them over the years, but the thing that really got me into it was the fact that Mom always made every new baby in the family a flannel tie quilt, she believed that every newborn deserved this gift. Mom was taken from our family by cancer, but I wanted the tradition of baby quilts to family members to live on so I became the one who goes to every baby shower with a flannel tie quilt as a gift. But I just couldn't stop there so many fabrics and patterns and so little time :lol:

I'm very sorry to read about your Mom. I am glad that the tradition she started remains. It will make it all the more special as time goes by.