Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what makes a difference with Etsy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-makes-difference-etsy-t213970.html)

bigsister63 02-18-2013 07:25 AM

I think that quilts are hard to sell anywhere. Few people are willing to pay the price for all the materials and hours that are put into a quilt. Also quilt colors and pattern are very personal and customer are only willing to pay $$$ for quilts that they like.I have sold 2 wall hangings on Etsy for $50 but had 5-6 other one that did not sell. Also I make ruffled bloomers diaper cover sets and have been selling them on my daughters shop. She too has sold crochet hats for photo props and has had over $7000 is sales this last year. Trick is to find a "nitch". ,

damaquilts 02-18-2013 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by qltgrose (Post 5869766)
Dama,

Cut it up into squares and sell the squares!! Theres one lady there that has nothing BUT chenille squares she sells and she charges 25-35 for each PIECE, which measure around 24in sq. . I should have done that with the 1/2 doz chenille spreads I had to sell, but I just couldnt make my hands take scissors to them, so I sold them whole for between 55 and 85 each. Most of what I am selling are things I accumulated during my marriage years and I am ready to "lighten" my load, as my daughter would curse me to hell and back if I die and leave her all this stuff to dispose of! The only thing she accumulates are books and NOT my 400 or so quilting book library either!

My mom died a couple of years ago and she just had one room to clear out...it took days~so I decided then it was time to pass my treasures onto someone who would love them as much as I do!

I am cleaning things out too. I am just getting tired of moving it all the time mostly. Ideally I could get things down to fit in the back of a pickup truck. lol
I would hate to cut this quilt up . I kinda like it. I have seen the ones with the cut up chenille and even the squares.

jlwheart 02-18-2013 09:02 AM

Thanks for all tips about selling online. I did a search on "selling my handmade items" and came up with lots of info and sites. Only knew about Etsy so I was very pleased to see more options once I'm ready to sell my embroidered/quilted items. I think having a "niche" is critical and I've been working on that as I develop my products and skill. Also, I'm practicing my phototaking and editing because I know that without an exceptional photo I won't get sold. Everyday I do something to move forward. Wish you the best as you get ready to sell online.

Dragonomine 02-18-2013 10:04 AM

I sell on Etsy as well. I have a few quilts up but what's been selling for me are fleece eared hats, cosplay stuff, little clutch purses made from quilting fabric and a few other things. I admit it's been a very long time since I've made anything new for my shop. I keep meaning to do it. Either that or shut it down.

NUBQ 02-18-2013 03:48 PM

>>>>I am ready to "lighten" my load, as my daughter would curse me to hell and back if I die and leave her all this
stuff to dispose of!<<<<<<

I hear that!!! Hahah that's too funny..it comes up every once in awhile around here...NUBQ