Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a mess. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t171827.html)

countrycousin 12-12-2011 12:15 PM

What a mess.

Apparently the quilting witch struck last weeken. I saw an ad for quilt squares and material in the paper. Plus there was a auction going on at the same time. So on Friday, while coming down with the flu, I went to check out both sites. Well the yard sale was to say the least a mess. You could hardly get around the yard for the high grass. Along with piles of horse manure from the horses, there were piles of what used to be good items for sale. Only they were in plastic bags that had been rained on. The fabric as it turned out was in the basement and what a shame because it had a musty smell. I did find some interesting squares which had a hefty tag. So I decided that this was not the sale for me. I went home and got in the bed at around 2:00 to sleep.

Before I went home I dropped by the auction and place a reasonable bid on some fabric in a tote. This too was in the basement and I spied a iron and ironing board. This fabric was nice enough for Walmart and I just felt if I got the bid, that would be okay. The next afternoon I went back and found that I did not win. That was okay because I knew where some other fabric with my name on it was. Why on earth did the lady have to say to me, "well the fabric sold for more than you offered so and so kept you from having to make something." I just smiled and said, well at least I got the old biddy to pay more than it was worth to buy it.

Honestly I know the auctioneer who told me that he had not told her to say that. I told him it was okay that I was going to use the material to make some quilts for kids. But the fabric had a slight smell to it from being in the basement. There was a guy selling BBQ by the pound and I got that. We ate some on the way home. I had enough for the next day.

I did go by my favorite haunt and got a tote of pre-cut squares and 20 feedsack fan squares for my own quilt. These are nice size and will make a 24 inch block or a 48 inch center Dresden Plate. So I guess in the end I ended up with the better deal.

When I do my master quilt I hope to have a camera to take a picture of my treasure. By the way I got all of this for the same amount that I had bid on.

Prism99 12-12-2011 12:23 PM

I'd count that as a good miss on the fabric! It's just too bad you had to make two trips while you were sick.

MamaHen 12-12-2011 01:20 PM

I think things like that happen for a reason.

willferg 12-13-2011 07:31 AM

I know how you feel. I love to buy fabric, but I especially love to buy fabric when it's a good deal!

Last week I was in Tuesday Morning or whatever that store is called. They had two jelly rolls. One I'd seen before, and the quality wasn't great. The other was a different brand and had some interesting patterns. The problem? The first one was easily twice the size (and therefore number of strips) than the second, but they were the same price! I looked closely at the tag on the one I liked, and it was incorrect -- it said charm squares. So I took them both up to the register and explained that the price couldn't be right, as the tag was wrong and the size/amount of fabric was obviously less than the other one at the same price. Honestly, if they'd knocked off even some money, I would have bought the jelly roll I had my eye on. But he said he wasn't allowed to change the price, it had to sell at what the tag said. I was so annoyed, I just left and didn't buy anything.

Like you said, there is other fabric out there I am meant to buy...