Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Not To Do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-not-do-t36716.html)

cuppi duke 02-12-2010 10:51 AM

I have been sewing all my life and should have known better. I am working on a southwest style quilt and had some beautiful suede cloth and thought it would be neat to use for the back. It was just the right color but it did have a tricot backing. I thought if I was careful I could make it work----not. No matter how much I pinned and basted it still bunched and puckered. After finishing 3/4 of it I decided it had to come off. I wore out two razor blades and my fingertips but finally got it off and am in the process of requilting now.

nativetexan 02-12-2010 11:21 AM

oh, so sorry. i've only used it in small applique pieces on a jacket. did invisible thread on it and it worked fine. that was on my old Singer machine.

Marcia 02-12-2010 11:21 AM

I learn something new on every quilt I make. Some lessons are more painful than others. I am glad you stuck to it and took off the backing that did not work. Show us your quilt when you are done!!

QuickStitch 02-12-2010 01:15 PM

I'm new to quilting and am making a faux suede quilt for my grandson. Both the front and the back and all applique pieces are of the suede, in different colors of course. I just read your post and now am concerned about using the suede cloth for the back. I was going to use poly batting in between because I have lots of that right now. Should I switch to a cotton backing? Thanks

cuppi duke 02-12-2010 02:12 PM

Is your suede the type that has a knit tricot backing? If it gives when you stretch it then you will probably have the same trouble I had. I don't know if spray basting would work on it or not. You might consider a quilt as you go. That is where you quilt individual blocks and then sew the whole thing together. I hope my answer works for you. I would hate to see you get it almost finished and then have a disaster. I used cotton batting with 20 percent poly.

Oklahoma Suzie 02-12-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
I have been sewing all my life and should have known better. I am working on a southwest style quilt and had some beautiful suede cloth and thought it would be neat to use for the back. It was just the right color but it did have a tricot backing. I thought if I was careful I could make it work----not. No matter how much I pinned and basted it still bunched and puckered. After finishing 3/4 of it I decided it had to come off. I wore out two razor blades and my fingertips but finally got it off and am in the process of requilting now.

so sorry, all that work...

beachlady 02-12-2010 03:03 PM

Sorry you had to take the back off, but you have taught the rest of us not to do the same thing - thanks.

jljack 02-12-2010 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I recently noticed that faux suede conforters have cotton backs. That must be the reason!!

Shemjo 02-12-2010 05:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up!