Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the Rule of Thumb for buying Quilt Fabric Again? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-rule-thumb-buying-quilt-fabric-again-t132262.html)

jaciqltznok 06-22-2011 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter
Here I go again, got the piecing done and the amount of fabric I bought for the backing is lacking! Now I have to do a search and pay top dollar to get the same fabric to match.
What is the rule of thumb when buying fabric--6 yards?
Thanks.

not for a backing..it usually 8-10!

but you can frame/border what you have already..or make large blocks like window panes....a backing does NOT have to be all one fabric!

jaciqltznok 06-22-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Rule of thumb? Rule of arm? Rule of foot??
None of them suit me, I purchase what moves me at the moment. Piece the backs; I always have.

Jan in VA

that is cute..rule of arm...as that is what it costs you know..an arm, a leg, a DH...a few kids...quilting/sewing/crafting has gone through the roof...

MrsGuava 06-22-2011 08:21 AM

I never felt happy with the one piece of muslin. I don't know if it's the thread count or the boring. I might make something as simple as a rail fence and make it a reversible quilt.

mizunogirl 06-22-2011 08:29 AM

I have always used a solid backing, and I just buy what the instructions say for my pattern (not very creative am I!) But, I've seen so many nifty stripes and such on the QB here, that I've decided my first BIG quilt will have a backing of two different fabrics.

Can't wait.

BellaBoo 06-22-2011 08:48 AM

When I buy fabric for backing with no project in mind I buy 7 yards of it. I have never regretted buying that much when I decide it's the perfect backing fabric I need for future quilt. If it's a small quilt I can get several backings out of it or it if it's a big queen or king I have enough. I always buy backing fabric on sale or clearance. I very seldom pay full price for backing fabric.

TonnieLoree 06-22-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Oh My! If there is a rule then I have seriously broken it!!

Scrappy backs are great.

Must send quilt police to your house. If they get to you first, maybe they will by-pass me. ;)

TanyaL 06-22-2011 10:03 AM

I have a preference for quilts that are reversible, especially if the quilting will be in an attractive pattern. And I had much rather have the back side have a large solid piece for the center framed by borders, than to have it pieced in a cross or striped pattern. That's because I think the bordered design looks better when/if it shows on a bed than a big cross does. Either way will stretch fabric that wasn't sufficient to back a whole quilt.
The borders on the back side should line up with the blocks or borders on the front side inorder for the quilting pattern to stay at its most attractive position.

TanyaL 06-22-2011 10:03 AM

I have a preference for quilts that are reversible, especially if the quilting will be in an attractive pattern. And I had much rather have the back side have a large solid piece for the center framed by borders, than to have it pieced in a cross or striped pattern. That's because I think the bordered design looks better when/if it shows on a bed than a big cross does. Either way will stretch fabric that wasn't sufficient to back a whole quilt.
The borders on the back side should line up with the blocks or borders on the front side inorder for the quilting pattern to stay at its most attractive position.

redkimba 06-22-2011 10:06 AM

Fat quarters are fun & a good way to sample fabric. Most of my quilts are from 'scraps'.

(please help me - I've started yet another quilt top with this method...)

Glassquilt 06-22-2011 10:15 AM

I like to use the 108" wide fabric. Save time - no piecing.