Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should this size piece be called/used for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-size-piece-called-used-t9695.html)

barnbum 07-31-2008 11:03 AM

I'm sewing up orphan stuff to make items to sell--trying to think small. :wink: I made some 15" blocks (The Wild Thing leftovers). What would they be for? Too big for a potholder, too small for a doll blanket...

Should I sew some together so it's a table runner size?

What exactly is the size of a doll blanket?

I'm exhausted from a busy week and can't think--I need your help oh honorable quilters.....

:D

purplemem 07-31-2008 11:26 AM

Karla,
Those blocks are not too big for a table trivet with lots of padding underneath.
Have you made bookmarks?
Quilted checkbook covers? They go over big here.
Purple

nor'easter 07-31-2008 11:44 AM

Doll blankets seem to run in the 21x24 or 19x23 range. As for 15" squares, I don't know what you'd call them, but I'd use them under lamps on side tables, on nightstands, that kind of thing. Like what they used to use doilies for only much nicer looking! You could start a whole new trend!!

mgshaw 07-31-2008 11:53 AM

Maybe make totes out of your big blocks. And they are a good size for hot pads. I made my MIL a whole set from orphan blocks one year, some of them I cut into an oval shape, some into a circle some I left square and made pot holders to match. She loves them and uses them all the time!

Cordelia 07-31-2008 11:58 AM

A 15" block well padded to serve as a hot pad/table decoration is a perfect idea.

You could even stuff it with potpouri. When something hot sits on it, it activates the fragrance.

Back when my mom first taught me to sew, I was practicing blocks. They were very poor quality. But, I made them into pot holders so as not to waste anything. The first one I made is sitting on the counter in plain view. I cringe when I see it.

She keeps it like she kept my kindergarten finger painting or poem projects.

(It does look like a kindergartener made it too.)

zyxquilts 07-31-2008 12:04 PM

I agree, they would make great hot pads for the table. I would use that thermal batting stuff - I think it's called "thermalamb" or something like that. I got it at JoAnn's - just ask them (that's what I did!) :D

barnbum 07-31-2008 12:14 PM

Thanks! I bought Insul-bright--that's the stuff to use? I think the directions say to add a layer of batting too? They will make perfect hot pads!! :D

They could be reversible--with a neat back....

Just a regular binding will do it?

ccbear66 07-31-2008 12:33 PM

You could also make them into pillows.

gcathie 07-31-2008 12:47 PM

Karla....sounds like some pretty good ideas here....good luck :-)

Up North 07-31-2008 01:59 PM

My mom makes pillow shams for couch pillows, all you would have to do is add a border and the backing with an opening to put your couch pillow in. They sell really well at craft shows.