Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size is a "scrap"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-scrap-t196499.html)

Evie 08-02-2012 07:34 AM

What size is a "scrap"?

I am never sure what size a piece of fabric should be before I consider it a scrap. What is the smallest and largest sizes you put into the "scrap" bin?

Joset 08-02-2012 07:54 AM

wow i have them of all sizes. i keep only 1 inch squares (smallest) and strips and then i have some larger.
if i am lucky when i put them away i organize in right bin. lol

sew cornie 08-02-2012 08:09 AM

My scrap bin has very tiny pieces down to about 3/4" all the way up to fat quarters that have been cut into. I do applique so keep the very small pieces for that purpose. For someone who doesn't applique, tiny pieces wouldn't likely be needed.

Pat625 08-02-2012 08:18 AM

It depends on the day and my mood!! Actually right now I am trying to organize my scraps by strings, 2 1/2 strips, 6, 2 1/2 & 4 inch squares and hexagons..

dunster 08-02-2012 08:39 AM

I believe it's Marti Michell who says that a scrap is any piece of fabric that she hasn't used yet, even if it's 5 yards long.

Gramie bj 08-02-2012 08:42 AM

If it is not WOF I consider it a scrap. That being said, I do have several Large scrapes only 10 inches X 2 1/2 yards. LOL Left over from cutting with grain for borders. I save everything I think I can use, I have baskets for sorting diffrent size strips from 1 to 6 inch width I also have baskets holding diffrent sizes squares. Anything I don't think I will use or don't want I haul to our guild and hand it over to the ladies that turn out so many of our charity quilts.

Deborahlees 08-02-2012 09:53 AM

i think to a degree it depends on how and what you sew.....because I do a fair amount of applique work where I may need a piece of orange for a snowman nose or a piece of white satin for a fairy wing, I keep anything down to maybe a 2" square. I sort by color and type, ie....all my flannel together and all my holiday together....but when you need just a piece of black velvet for a nose.....its a sin to but into a fat quarter....On the other hand if you do not do applique or postage stamp quilts, then only save pieces that you could use in your smallest quilt.....I have a whole box of just strips for my string quilts.....just depends on what you do as to what your needs will be..............

luvTooQuilt 08-02-2012 10:36 AM

To me a scrap is 2x2 to less than a FQ...

ptquilts 08-02-2012 10:47 AM

up to a FQ I would fold it. Under would be a scrap.
'
We used to get "scraps" from a fellow quilter, she had LARGE pieces in the bags as well as small. Always loved picking up her stuff - before she met us she used to throw it away!! (oh no.....)

bearisgray 08-03-2012 04:31 AM

Scrap to me is anything too small to use - like the trimmings from squaring up HST units. But some people use those for stuffing dog/cat mats or for the birds to use in their nests.

Maybe lint?