Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size/type of pre-cuts do you usually buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-type-pre-cuts-do-you-usually-buy-t186557.html)

burchquilts 04-19-2012 06:12 AM

What size/type of pre-cuts do you usually buy?

The Deal of the Day at Missouri Star Quilt Company today is a set of turnovers. They're really pretty (spring-y) & I'll probably buy them. I've never bought turnovers before. I've bought fat quarter bundles, layer cakes, jelly rolls & charm packs, but never turnovers (or honey buns or any other configuration). It made me get to thinking... what size/type pre-cuts do other people buy? And why do they buy what they do. Care to share? Inquiring minds...
<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_5b29b69b-0f29-4abc-a4c0-225561acdf4f -->

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_b9dc62ea-644b-4fd5-9749-ccca17d71116 -->

sandybeach 04-19-2012 06:19 AM

I love jelly rolls. I have made at least three quilts using them and will make many more.

auntpiggylpn 04-19-2012 06:21 AM

I buy fat quarters, 5" charms and an occasional jelly roll. I like the 5" charms because I can whip a project pretty quick with them. I buy fat quarters because: A. I love different fabrics B. I can have a large variety of prints in my stash and C. They are just the right size for small projects. I have never even considered the turnovers, mainly because I don't see them in the LQS very often. I'm fussy about anything with a bias edge so I try to avoid them! I suppose that the honey buns would work just like "home made" HST, just starch the heck out of them before handling and sewing them

quiltstringz 04-19-2012 06:24 AM

I usually do the Fat Quarter bundles, Fat Eights are my favorite but harder to find and Jelly rolls. There are so many patterns and books for the Jelly rolls so I always know I can find something to do with them

burchquilts 04-19-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach (Post 5153535)
I love jelly rolls. I have made at least three quilts using them and will make many more.

I love jelly rolls, too. Do you have a favorite pattern to use with them?

burchquilts 04-19-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5153550)
I usually do the Fat Quarter bundles, Fat Eights are my favorite but harder to find and Jelly rolls. There are so many patterns and books for the Jelly rolls so I always know I can find something to do with them

I love jelly rolls, too. Do you have a favorite pattern to use with them?

mhansen6 04-19-2012 06:35 AM

I don't buy precuts. I would rather buy yardage. I bought one quilt kit and will not do that again. I hated two of the fabrics that were in the kit and had to replace them.

Sweeterthanwine 04-19-2012 08:42 AM

I buy layer cakes and jelly rolls - I find this size for me is the most useful.

texpat45 04-19-2012 09:09 AM

I buy 5" charms, jelly rolls, and fat qtr sets. i've bought a couple of themed layer cakes - landscape fabrics. I do small projects and art type stuff so I like the variety. I buy yardage of solids and blenders and a few prints to use as backings.

Rose L 04-19-2012 09:16 AM

I only buy the fat quarter bundles and then only if it's a type of fabric I'm collecting for a project. I have somehow acquired some charm squares but still haven't figured out what to do with them.