Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is a stitch regulator? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-stitch-regulator-t113917.html)

GladGrams 04-06-2011 05:32 AM

Okay, so you now you know how really dumb I am. I have read something about these things, but what in the world do they look like and how do they work on a regular sewing machine? I thought they were something LA quilters used.

quiltmaker 04-06-2011 05:38 AM

The stitch regulator is made for longarms on a frame. It is a rectangular type device I believe that you adjust for making your FMQ stitiches even. The only regular/domestic sewing machine that I am aware of that has this feature is Bernina. The stitch regulators are machine specific and start at about $500. Many people love them and many have bought them and don't like using them. Check for more topics on the board as it has been discussed quite a bit. Try the search feature and see what comes up to help you understand this better.

PaperPrincess 04-06-2011 05:46 AM

The Vikings, and I think the Pfaffs have an aftermarket unit called a Fab u motion. It's like a tray that sits on your machine bed that helps move the fabric. It can be ordered with a stitch regulator
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp21645.html

feline fanatic 04-06-2011 05:46 AM

The only DSM that I know of that has a stitch regulator is one of the Bernina models. I believe it is computerized to interface with the machines on board computer.

On LA it is often computerized and senses how fast you are moving the machine and regulates how quickly the needle goes up and down to match your movement speed. It results in even stitches. I have one on my LA and have never quilted without it on. You can adjust them to how many stitches per inch you want.

bluteddi 04-06-2011 09:34 AM

thank you for asking... i've wondered too.. but was too afraid to ask.....

Qbee 04-06-2011 05:17 PM

If you are dumb then I am too because I've wondered the same thing! Sounds interesting though. But I doubt I'll ever get a long arm :(

Originally Posted by GladGrams
Okay, so you now you know how really dumb I am. I have read something about these things, but what in the world do they look like and how do they work on a regular sewing machine? I thought they were something LA quilters used.

OCQuilts 04-06-2011 08:20 PM

Not dumb at all! Bernina offers the stitch regulator on several models. 440, 640, 730, 820 and 830 are the most common. The 200 can be upgraded to use the stitch regulator. The Berinia stitch regulator is a foot, it also plugs into a special outlet in the machine. The foot uses a laser light, which calculates the movements of your fabric beneath the foot, and transmits the information to the needle, which then moves the needle up and down appropriate to the movement of the fabric, to make your stitches even. It still takes a little practice, but it makes a big difference. The Gammill long arms use 2 rolling wheels, to measure the movement of the long arm machine to control the needle.

GladGrams 04-07-2011 12:20 AM

Weeeeeelll for $500 I don't think I'm going to invest in something that may not work.

QM 04-07-2011 12:33 AM

My guild has a stitch regulator for our LA machine. The other LA in our tiny town does not. Ours is built in. It can be turned on or off. It speeds up the stitching when you are quilting rapidly, slows it when you are moving more slowly. The people I know who are real experts hate the regulator, but they are better moving the machine at a uniform pace than I am. The regulator is NOT foolproof. If I go way too fast or slow, I mess things up, but when my disability allows me to use the LA, I do appreciate the regulator.

I know some Janome models have the option of starting the machine and having the needle run at a uniform rate without any foot pressure, which is NOT tha same as a LA stitch regulator. Frankly, that scares me. It would be way too easy to be seriously hurt by it it you get distracted, which I sometimes do.