Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of Batting do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-batting-do-you-use-t154825.html)

soccertxi 09-22-2011 06:25 AM

I have a roll of Warm and Natural. I have used Hobbs wool (quilted like BUTTAH! but not machine dryable), Hobbs 80/20, the green batting made from pop bottles (I think that is quilters dream brand),Hobbs poly down (loved this and am saving up for a roll. Thinking I will use this for kids quilts and such.) and the bamboo one from Joanns (that was for a customer and have not heard if she liked how it washed. Heard it was from a renewable source, but hard on the envionment to make. Have not done my homework on that. Just hearsay.) Gee...I thought I only used Warm and natural! lolol

jaciqltznok 09-22-2011 06:32 AM

Hobbs 80/20 or their Tuscany..both are great!

jaciqltznok 09-22-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
I have a roll of Warm and Natural. I have used Hobbs wool (quilted like BUTTAH! but not machine dryable), Hobbs 80/20, the green batting made from pop bottles (I think that is quilters dream brand),Hobbs poly down (loved this and am saving up for a roll. Thinking I will use this for kids quilts and such.) and the bamboo one from Joanns (that was for a customer and have not heard if she liked how it washed. Heard it was from a renewable source, but hard on the envionment to make. Have not done my homework on that. Just hearsay.) Gee...I thought I only used Warm and natural! lolol

the info on the Bamboo is correct!

soccertxi 09-22-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by soccertxi

thanks Jacquie! I could not remember where I heard that....

the info on the Bamboo is correct!

mim 09-22-2011 06:46 AM

I always use poly batting -- there are so many allergies that I am extra careful. And they dry better IMHO. Kids quilts need a lot of washing.
Mim

the casual quilter 09-22-2011 07:48 AM

Warm and Natural is what I use generally. I also really like Hobbs wool batting.

k3n 09-22-2011 07:51 AM

Quilters Dream Blend for quilts to be used - I find it stays softer than the W and N even when close quilted. I use the Hobbs 80/20 if I'm hand quilting and the Quilters Dream Poly Select or Request for wall hangings and art pieces. Having said that, my LQS has poly on a roll that looks and feels similar to the Quilters Dream Poly and works out cheaper than the packages I currently get so once I run out, I might try that.

Barb44 09-22-2011 08:04 AM

I prefer poly. I handquilt and tie a lot and it works the best - the needle goes through easily and doesn't have to be tied so close. And it is lightweight and has more loft. Cotton in a large quilt gets heavy, IMO. I have done a little machine quilting with poly and it was fine.

Whatever you decide to use, if you are tying, make sure it is not a batting that has to be quilted 2 to 4" apart.

Zhillslady 09-22-2011 10:44 AM

I normally use Warm & Natural but yesterday used Dream Green for the first time. I liked it and love that it uses stuff not piling up in landfills. It will become my new batting of choice.

TinkerQuilts 09-22-2011 11:04 AM

Mostly Hobbs 80/20.