Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type and size needle to use for some hand sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-size-needle-use-some-hand-sewing-t214522.html)

Wildernessties 02-22-2013 08:25 AM

What type and size needle to use for some hand sewing?

I need to do some hand sewing on batik fabric. It is always a real pain to try and stitch this so I thought maybe I could find a finer or better needle to use. I make neckties and I need to hand stitch the backs. Of course, as luck would have it, the batik fabric is the most popular:( If you could include a brand and size, that would be helpful. I mostly sew on my machine and am not knowledgeable about the various types of hand sewing needles like quilting needles vs betweens vs sharps, etc. I tried to Google the question but just got more confused. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Tartan 02-22-2013 09:55 AM

I like a John James # 8 embroidery needle for hand sewing. It has a nice sized eye for threading but is super sharp. You could use hand quilting betweens ( used fir hand quilting)but boy the eyes on those are tiny.

Hinterland 02-22-2013 10:03 AM

For hand sewing, I use sharps or straw needles, size 10 or 11. I like John James, but Foxglove Studios is also a good brand. I find these are sharper than other other needles and go through batiks easily.

Janet

Scissor Queen 02-22-2013 10:40 AM

The only hand sewing needles I get real picky about are hand quilting needles. Otherwise I have two or three of those giant variety packs and pick whichever one suits the fabric, thread and project I'm working on.

ckcowl 02-22-2013 10:45 AM

i generally use John James Sharps- in about a size 10 for fine hand work. sometimes Roxanne's but more often John James- mainly because that is what is available locally. i use straw's or milners if i want a longer needle.

Jackie Spencer 02-22-2013 11:23 AM

I use a #8 embroidery needle, because its easier to thread, except for applique then I use applique or straw needles.

mamagrande 02-22-2013 11:49 AM

I use John James in size 9. although I sometimes need a needle threader late at night, I like it because it glides through the fabric.

NJ Quilter 02-22-2013 01:34 PM

I recently hand quilted 100% batik quilt with W&N batting. I use either #11 or #12 Roxanne's. #11's are definitely easier to thread and a bit stiffer than the #12's. But if you need really fine needles the 12's might work for you. Just make sure you get the Roxanne threaders if you're going to use #12's. Normal wire threaders will NOT fit through the eye of the needle on the #12. I can thread #11's without a threader using hand quilting thread.

Onebyone 02-22-2013 01:47 PM

I only have Roxanne brand needles for hand sewing. I like a #10 sharp for all hand stitching. I haven't used any other brand I like better.

Wildernessties 02-23-2013 11:08 AM

Thank you for all the responses. I have gone through and plan to order one or two pkgs of needles online since I live nowhere near a quilt shop. The needles I have are SO old and I think because of that, they may not be as sharp as they once were plus they are very cheap ones. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.