Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of thread do you use to FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-thread-do-you-use-fmq-t158268.html)

MadQuilter 10-05-2011 04:29 PM

I read a horror story once where a lady used a cone type serger thread to piece her quilt and when she ironed it, the whole thing fell apart. Aparently the thread was Nylon. Since then I have stayed clear of all things serger.

I often use the same weight cotton thread for piecing and for quilting. Most of mine is from Connecting Threads. But I also use Star thread - the variegated (from Coats and Clark) with great results, and I have assorted others.

You know you can get just as crazy about buying thread as you can fabric - whod'a thunk it.

tutslady 10-05-2011 04:38 PM

I use King Tut for all quilting and guterman for piecing.

Maia B 10-05-2011 04:38 PM

Now, to each her own, but I personally wouldn't use serger thread. It's not as strong. My time is more valuable then the fabric, thread, batting, etc. I can't afford to spend my time and energy working with materials that might not hold up. Other quilters might find that something else works for them, and make different choices. I like Aurifil cotton mako, 50 wt for piecing, 12-40 wt for quilting, although anything goes. I also like Masterpiece by Superior for piecing, and their Perfect Quilter or King Tut for quilting.

ploverwi2 10-05-2011 04:51 PM

Google Leah Day. You will love her site and all her free FMQ patterns. You can e-mail her with questions, and she will write back the same day. She has been so good to me. She also knows how to fix your darning foot. So it works a hundred per cent better. Give her a try. You will be so glad you did.

Candace 10-05-2011 04:54 PM

Don't put a large amount of weight on anything a Joanne'e employee tells you! Just because they work there, doesn't mean they know anything about quilting etc.

wytetygeress 10-05-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
Google Leah Day. You will love her site and all her free FMQ patterns. You can e-mail her with questions, and she will write back the same day. She has been so good to me. She also knows how to fix your darning foot. So it works a hundred per cent better. Give her a try. You will be so glad you did.

I will. I fixed the daring foot. Called the guy that i bought the machine from and he said any high shank foot would work..so i went to the LQS, the same that told me to use the embroidery thread to buy the foot..

Stitchnripper 10-05-2011 06:25 PM

My machine isn't fussy at all, so I use all kinds of threads. I heard a lecture from a lady who works for YSL threads and she said, just use what you like, if it works in your machine.

DogHouseMom 10-05-2011 06:47 PM

Opinions are like ... quilts. Everyones is different.

Different threads have different qualities and will suit varied needs as well as machines and fabric.

The best advice I can offer is to make a sample sandwich of the same material and check out the different thread to see how it performs as well as how it looks. It is not uncommon to use diferent colors, weights, and types of thread on the same quilt.

EXPERIMENT .. On samples!!!!

wytetygeress 10-05-2011 06:48 PM

Thank you everyone for all the advice! yall are the best.

Holice 10-05-2011 07:08 PM

to use serger thread is not good advice. It is thin and breaks easily as it is not as strong as other thread.
It is made for serging and not some other work.