Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to use for making templates? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-use-making-templates-t6443.html)

runningwithlola 04-23-2008 11:45 AM

after cutting out a few pieces for blocks, I've decided that I want the sewing lines, so I want to make templates.

I'm a total newbie here. What do you use for templates? Some kind of plastic, acetate? Where do you get it?

amma 04-23-2008 11:57 AM

I have used the quilting templates that you can buy at Walmart, quilt shops, etc.... but, I also use plastic lids from coffee cans, the thin plastic sheet cutting boards from the dollar stores, there was a tip here about using the plastic piece that is used as packaging with bacon. You can use anything that is made of plastic.... I do not recomend cardboards as they tend to shrink on the edges.

ccbear66 04-23-2008 11:59 AM

I personally have never used templates but I have sceen template plastic at Joann's and also at hobby lobby. I think that Walmart may have it also but with all the Walmarts downsizing the fabric dept. they may have done away with that also. I think that I have also read where someone used the plastic that comes on report covers. Just remember there are no quilt police so you can use whatever works best for you.
Welcome to our friendly quilting family.

all4quilt 04-23-2008 12:02 PM

I had to laugh about your comment on the "quilt police". Thank goodness there are none of those! Our imaginations would go caput!

vicki reno 04-24-2008 03:57 AM

I like to cut out my paper pattern and then glue it to plastic. That way your cutting and sewing lines are both visible.

adyldrop 04-24-2008 05:59 AM

There is specific quilting mylar or plastic with a grid pre-printed I've gotten from Michael's (or any craft supply store). If you can't find it in the sewing section, go to the stenciling section and just buy plain mylar sheets. They're used for making your own stencils and such but I use them for quilting templates as well. Make sure you have a good ruler. Nothing beats cutting strips and simple straight lined shapes like a good plastic ruler. Mine is by Martha Stewart and I love it. If you can't get your hands on mylar or basic templates lemme know! PM me and I can send ya some :D

Rebecca Chambley 04-24-2008 07:40 AM

I buy the 3 ring hard plastic notebook dividers, from office suppy. I get 10 for a 3.00. They are frosted clear, and work out great. They stay in my 3 ring quilt note book, till I need one. Then I use sheet protectrors to keep my templates in, and write what each pocket holds, on the outside of the sheet protector. May sound troublsome, but it's not at all. And that way everything is kept neat, organized, and right where I need it. Works for me anyway........

Cathy M 04-24-2008 07:59 AM

If you are close to a hospital or clinic, call their x-ray department. The old films make great templates and the best part is, they are free. Of course, the patient name will be removed from the film before you receive them.

fabricluvr 04-24-2008 02:08 PM

i saw an interesting technique in my free motion machine quilting class. she had cut shapes out of the plain white contact paper (like for lining shelves, with adhesive on one side) and had us quilt around them. no marks required, when you're done, just peel them off and throw them away!

ProArtQuiltersUnite 04-24-2008 07:47 PM

:? The plastic that's at wm and qs's is wayyy to thin, the rotary cutter usually whaks it so It doesn't work, I was thinking on the thicker cardboard. Any where online you can buy the THICK Templates like they made a few years back??? really would like to find some more.