Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What A Waste Of Time And Money (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-waste-time-money-t110683.html)

grammy17 03-27-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
It is sad that you had a bad experience at your lqs. Maybe you should talk to the owner. Sometimes the hired help does not have much more experience than the customer they are trying to help. Do not let it keep you from trying again and from completing your project. Maybe get some help from another quilt shop if the ideas here don't help.

You are so right about this! I remember my first day at the cosmetics counter 30 years ago. A customer said, "Which color lipstick is good for me your the expert?" I thought to myself, " I don't know. Yesterday I sold pots and pans." But asked her, "what color do you usually wear?"

cabinfever 03-28-2011 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with all the others, don't give up, there are many ways to make your quilt come out nice. If you had a pattern where all the seams had to line up perfectly, I would consider just rotating them so more of the seams will not show so much if they don't line up (hidden by the common color). If all your blocks are the dimensions you described, you could sew all the (3-piece) blocks, then measure them all & trim them all to one size before continuing. I would also add some more black sashing to fill in. Here is just one idea based on the block you describe...a "Rail Fence" of sorts in a weave layout.

Rail Fence variation - weave layout
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176271[/ATTACH]

sandy l 03-28-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by grugirl
I love the idea of breaking all the rules when I quilt.

Rules? There are rules????? :shock:

Pre-wash your fabric...or not, your choice, not a rule
1/4 in seams or scant 1/4 inch seams...your choice, just be consistent, not a rule (and I know I'm not consistent :oops: )
Press seams to one side or open, and press after each seam or when you are finished with the block or whole top...your choice, not a rule
Use starch, press with steam or dry...your choice, not a rule
Press fabric before cutting...your choice, just makes it easier :lol:
Color choices are totally your choice...it's YOUR quilt and only you have to be happy with it. (working on a hot pink, hot orange and black right now that would curl some quilters' toes!)

Oh, I know a rule...don't IRON triangles, just press them or they get wonky...but maybe wonky works for you (I've made it work for me!)

OK, I need help here...what ARE the hard and fast RULES for quilting...other than giving credit to the pattern designer and quilter if you don't do it all yourself???

Have a blast with your new addiction...it is a fabulously fun one and this board if filled with wonderful experienced quilters just waiting to help you with any question you may have!!

What ARE the hard and fast RULES?
Whatever works for you!

bobquilt3 03-28-2011 04:26 AM

Be sure you let that qs know exactly what their kit was really like. It may be late to get your money back but they should know!

Shirleyg 03-28-2011 05:44 AM

Hi Neighbor Grumpy, I live in League City also. I go to Pin Wheels & Posies to the Saturday Sampler. It is on the 1st Saturday of the month. It will be this Saturday and we have 2 more blocks in this session. Really love it alot. They are very helpful.