Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What A Waste Of Time And Money (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-waste-time-money-t110683.html)

quiltergrrl 03-25-2011 02:14 PM

Bought a pre-cut quilt kit at a local quilt shop about a year ago at the urging of the woman who runs the shop. This was going to be my second quilt.

When I originally went to their shop, I knew nothing about sewing and went to their Saturday quilting with the promise they would be happy to teach me to quilt. I did buy my fabric from them.

I had to stop going after my first quilt because of a death in the family and I was downsized from my job.

Finally had time to piece it, only to find out that when the single blocks are pieced into blocks of four, they're just enough off to cause major problems (about 1/4 inch off between all four) and I don't know that I can go back and square these up enough to make them work. It's so beyond my limited skills.

*Sigh*

This is the same shop that made fun of the colors I chose for my first quilt, then offered no help when I said I wanted to machine quilt it instead of using their long arm (which of course cost me additional money - and my quilting looked like heck. I really wanted my first quilt to be nice.)

I guess I'm just a slow learner but I will never, ever darken the doors of this LQS again. I'll be driving over to Kaufman instead.

Being a newbie and somewhat insecure, I made the mistake of trusting them.

crafty_linda_b 03-25-2011 02:22 PM

That is so sad...I am glad it didn't discourage you from quilting..there are some people out there who are all about the $$. They need to take the customers likes into consideration..not everyone likes the same colors or ideas..that is what makes us all individuals..
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

LoriEl 03-25-2011 02:23 PM

That's a shame and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them. I have been to many quilt shops in NJ and NY and the women and customers are always nice. I stay and chat for at least half hour or longer after I'm done. They help pick out fabric to start or if I bring in an almost finished quilt the help with fabric for a border. They always want to see the finished product. I would not step foot in that place again either. I'm glad you didn't let them discourage you.

cjomomma 03-25-2011 02:23 PM

Sorry they did this to you. She probably figured that since you were new to quilting that wouldn't know the difference. It's folks like that that give the LQS's a bad name.

brushandthimble 03-25-2011 02:25 PM

You could post pictures here and maybe get some suggestions and help.

okiepastor 03-25-2011 02:28 PM

Is this a pattern that would allow putting strips on the 4-patches, then squaring up the blocks with the strips? Then the variance is not noticeable, unless maybe the quilt police look!
Otherwise, I would just put it together. Pressing well can help too. Believe it or not, if this is to use, most likely NO ONE will notice after it is quilted, esp. if you have not washed the fabrics first.......

grugirl 03-25-2011 02:30 PM

I have to be honest when I say, I don't care who likes or dislikes the colors I choose. Being creative means you make the decisions. I love my bright and at times almost obscene color mixes. To quilt it makes me happy and the people I give them to. That is what quilting is for me. If you don't like what you are working with or using someone else's idea then you are not doing it for you.
Nuff said.

BTW.. you Will enjoy this group. They are supportive and give you honest feedback. It is nice to know there is support and encouragement at every turn here. Welcome!

greensleeves 03-25-2011 02:31 PM

Glad to know you are still quilting. If you haven't fixed the 4 blocks you can put maybe a 2 in border all around each one and then trim them to the same size. You won't notice the slight difference in the size of the borders when you put sashing and finish the quilt. Then you'll always have your first quilt to look back on--even if the memories are not the best. You'll know you kept at it. Welcome to this great site, I think you'll always find encouragement here if you need it.

Darn! okiepastor types faster than I do-beat me to this idea. Well at least you know it a good one. :)

mommamac 03-25-2011 02:33 PM

Stick around here - there are lots of experts willing to share time, techniques & talents.

jlong 03-25-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
I have to be honest when I say, I don't care who likes or dislikes the colors I choose. Being creative means you make the decisions. I love my bright and at times almost obscene color mixes. To quilt it makes me happy and the people I give them to. That is what quilting is for me. If you don't like what you are working with or using someone else's idea then you are not doing it for you.
Nuff said.

I have a friend who is more artistic than myself and her first quilt's colors were not even near my color preferences. But it was great when she put it together. I'm hoping you can find patterns and colors that will inspire you to continue this obsessive hobby. :lol: :lol: