Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would be a good price? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-good-price-t49001.html)

Pineapple Princess 06-09-2010 11:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to start up a home business here, and I was wondering if I could get some advice about how to price my items.

What do you think would be a good price for:

A quilted wallet (custom (you pick fabric and pattern) or pre-done)
A tote bag (custom or pre-done)
A purse (custom or pre-done)
A twin size quilt (custom or pre-done)
A queen size quilt (custom or pre-done)
A lap quilt (custom or pre-done)

I don't have an etsy shop set up yet, but if you have any recommendations about the best way to do that, I'd really appreciate that as well! :)

Thanks!

craftybear 06-09-2010 11:05 AM

Hi,

You could also set up a free blog to post your pictures for show and tell!

Pineapple Princess 06-09-2010 11:13 AM

Thanks craftybear! I do have a wordpress blog, and I can use the same account to set up a new blog, which I plan to do.

ckcowl 06-09-2010 12:14 PM

usually you figure cost of materials and triple...or you could decide how much you believe your time is worth (ie: $15 an hour) and keep track of time to add to costs...but seldom do artists actually make money on time...also check local markets to see what similar items are selling for. one year my daughter and i were making purses/tote bags, thought we would sell them at the local summer outdoor market...we were putting about $20 in materials into them...priced them at $45 thinking this was very reasonable (we were spending 3-5 hours on each) turned out, there was a lady there with bags (100's of bags) for $10 each...we couldn't sell even one of ours. found a different venue a few months later and had a lady come to our booth and gripe (loudly) that we were severly hurting fellow crafters by under pricing...
so, i guess it's just a relative thing...you need to know what your market is willing (or expecting) to pay. btw, at the second venue...we sold all of our bags :)...underpricing....hmmmmmmmmmm

ktbb 06-09-2010 01:18 PM

For custom quilts, I was told a couple of years ago that $15 per square foot finished is a good basic price to start with for custom quilts. That includes fabric, piecing, quilting, etc. Price can vary depending on complexity of either quilting or piecing pattern, whether the customer provides the fabric, etc.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-09-2010 01:45 PM

Hi Princess, have you checked what things go for on Etsy??
It may give you ideas :)
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-09-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
usually you figure cost of materials and triple...or you could decide how much you believe your time is worth (ie: $15 an hour) and keep track of time to add to costs...but seldom do artists actually make money on time...also check local markets to see what similar items are selling for. one year my daughter and i were making purses/tote bags, thought we would sell them at the local summer outdoor market...we were putting about $20 in materials into them...priced them at $45 thinking this was very reasonable (we were spending 3-5 hours on each) turned out, there was a lady there with bags (100's of bags) for $10 each...we couldn't sell even one of ours. found a different venue a few months later and had a lady come to our booth and gripe (loudly) that we were severly hurting fellow crafters by under pricing...
so, i guess it's just a relative thing...you need to know what your market is willing (or expecting) to pay. btw, at the second venue...we sold all of our bags :)...underpricing....hmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, it IS relative. Interesting.................. :)

amma 06-09-2010 02:41 PM

Different venues allow different pricing, the same with custom versus already made...

Without seeing the complexity/simplicity of your patterns, it is also more difficult to give a set price.

Check out the venue(s) you are going to use and set your prices according to similar items that are there. One venue as mentioned above you may wish to price your items higher than another... Or make simpler patterns/designs for one venue than another...

Pineapple Princess 06-09-2010 09:34 PM

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate all the help I get on this board! :)