Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would make the fabric pull unevenly thru the feed dogs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-make-fabric-pull-unevenly-thru-feed-dogs-t112954.html)

DeneK 04-02-2011 01:38 PM

When I stitch with my Janome, it is as if it WANTS to stitch a straight line, but with my (new to me, but older) Husqvarna Viking, I cannot seem to get a straight seam no matter how hard I try or how slowly I sew. Also seems as if the stitches are not consistent in size.

Any ideas?

hoppyfrog 04-02-2011 01:41 PM

There could be a bunch of lint keeping the feed dogs from working properly. Take a flashlight and small bruch and give it a good look. Just remember not to blow into your machine. There's too much moisture and can cause even more problems down the road.

dakotamaid 04-02-2011 01:49 PM

yes, clean, clean. I have learned the value of a clean machine.:) If I have problems I do that first.

Lori S 04-02-2011 01:54 PM

If its not an issue of lint around the feed dogs and bobbin area. I would check the amount of pressure on the pressure foot , too much or too little can cause irregular stitching. Most pressure foot settings are about 4 for regular piecing and stitching. If you are not sure where this adjustment it let us know what model you have.

grammy17 04-02-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
yes, clean, clean. I have learned the value of a clean machine.:) If I have problems I do that first.

Since I bought my new Janome, I clean before every project and change needles. Yesterday I decided to clean my Singer 110 of at least 20 years accumulation of lint. Never saw so much lint! Never cleaned it before. Oiled it too. Oh yes, I put in a new needle -- the old one was flat on the bottom--but she still sewed. Sounds like a happy machine now. Next to my Horizon, it looks like a baby. And I was so very happy when I bought it.

DogHouseMom 04-02-2011 01:56 PM

Funny ... I have the opposite problem! If one of the machines is going to give me straight line fits it's the Janome, the Husky is a straight line reliable work horse.

I rarely have to change tension, feed dog pressure, etc on my Husky - it seems to be willing to cope with whatever I give it.

CoyoteQuilts 04-02-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
When I stitch with my Janome, it is as if it WANTS to stitch a straight line, but with my (new to me, but older) Husqvarna Viking, I cannot seem to get a straight seam no matter how hard I try or how slowly I sew. Also seems as if the stitches are not consistent in size.

Any ideas?

Silly question, but do you have your feed dogs up?

DeneK 04-03-2011 09:56 AM

1. checked for lint/fuzz and found the underside of the foot plate to be very clean.
2. Pressure on the foot set at 4 (and today I tried it at 3. I have a Husqvarna Viking 400 (older - prob. around 10 years old). I think 3 did work a little better.
3. yep feed dogs up.

Even with stitch length set at 3.5, sometimes I get tiny stitches.

quiltmaker 04-04-2011 04:10 AM

Maybe you need to just take it in for a checkup...maybe a timing issue or something simple. If all the replies didn't help and you've tried everything you can think of then for me...I'd call a reputable dealer for advice and help so you can be a happy quilter again.

featherweight 04-04-2011 04:14 AM

I second the service idea. It needs some TLC every once in a while. It would be worth the cost to get it done. Nothing like a machine that does not sew perfect. Hope you find the problem...