Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t171359.html)

ABCQuilt 12-08-2011 07:51 AM

What would you do?

I have made my husband a quilt for Christmas. Yesterday he informed me that we can't afford Christmas gifts for each other this year. I didn't tell him I have made something for him so I'm not sure what to do. In years past I have given him anniversary or valentines day gifts and he has forgotten to get me something and he feels so bad! So should I give the quilt to him or should I use it as a gift next year? What would you do?

johanka 12-08-2011 07:53 AM

Give him the quilt.

CarrieC 12-08-2011 07:53 AM

Hmmm well, since he probably knows you make things way ahead of time, you might be able to gift this with the caveat that you had already made it BEFORE the announcement.

Is it possible you could gift it to both of you? A shared quilt?

gramma nancy 12-08-2011 07:57 AM

How about honoring his request at Christmas, but giving it to him on New Year's Eve? Tell him it's to keep both of you warm through the whole year. I know he'll love it. He no doubt knows how much love you put into everything you make.

auntpiggylpn 12-08-2011 08:03 AM

I think that you should go ahead and give it to him at Christmas as it was intended. You aren't giving the quilt because you expect something back, you are giving it because you love him. You can tell him that you already had it done prior to his announcement. The gift giving is for the giver as much as the receiver sometimes. My MIL tried this last year at Christmas time. She made the announcement 1 week before Christmas. Now, she knows that nobody waits until the week before Christmas to buy or make gifts. And it wasn't a cost thing, it was a Gloria thing! (you gotta know her to appreciate her. . . Love you mom!) She received her gifts on Christmas just like everybody else and was thankful for everything she got. We have learned to only give her practical gifts that she will use ex: quilt, jacket, gift card to a bookstore. She will give everything else away because she doesn't want it to clutter up her apartment.

annthreecats 12-08-2011 08:04 AM

Don't give him the quilt. He's not giving you a Christmas gift.

RonieM 12-08-2011 08:05 AM

I would give it to him. I am sure you made it for him because you love him and you wanted him to have something from you, not because you were looking for something in return.

Anna O 12-08-2011 08:05 AM

Give him the quilt and let him know, Christmas, or not, you made it for him. It's happened to us and it will be fine.

luvTooQuilt 12-08-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 4762535)
Don't give him the quilt. He's not giving you a Christmas gift.

I don't believe its in the receiving but in the giving for the holidays, and this is giving of your heart.. You took the time to make him something precious.... I would give it to him, early if you want to avoid it being a 'gift'..

joyce888 12-08-2011 08:09 AM

I would tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other". Because if he really does feel bad when he doesn't get you anything this gives him an opportunity to "make" you a gift - it could be something as simple as a home cooked meal; a complete auto detailing of your car; or something else that requires manual labor. One year my daughter gave me a coupon book that she made containing coupons for cleaning house, cooking a meal, making my favorite dessert, etc.