Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do with this top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-top-t180927.html)

debs 02-27-2012 01:47 PM

What would you do with this top?

1 Attachment(s)
Howdy,
This is a top I machine pieced in the early 1970's!!!!!!

It was made to fit a double bed tothe floor cover at the time & the yellow & gold fabrics were added to assist it fitting in with the bedroom decor, colors ambiance!!!!!!!!!

Well, now it just doesn't work at all for me! Not happy with the colors or why on earth the strips are so wide, not sure what I was going to put in strips that wide, I guess quilting designs.
I really hate to rip out all the seams, but doubt I would ever do anything with it as it is. It would remain an UFO!

So I'm open for suggestions, I forgot to measure it, but it is big. I also pieced a backing of light green fabric for it.

All machine sewn even the blocks.

I hate that I found it this weekend & had forgotten it for so many years!

cjr 02-27-2012 01:58 PM

Lots of work in this quilt to just toss. The mustard color is not my favorite today. Very popular years ago. May i suggest a fix. Machine applique (fuse then sew around) a large design possibly repeating the stars from the quilt. This will tone down mustards color and make it look like it si supposed to be part of the design.

Beautiful piecework. Love the star colors and design

wendsy 02-27-2012 02:16 PM

I'm one who would take out seams, remove boarders then separate the stripes and see if you cam rework it.I am very familiar with a seam ripper-fabric costs too much! I once removed the stitching from a lap throw I had sewn years ago-completely finished but as my sewing has improved the worse it got to looking so I spent 3 hors removing the stitches only the find I had not cut the pieces and I ended with about 3 yards of uncut material to work with. So I'd say if you can see anything redeemable to you in your quilt top, really think a bout tearing it down or re-cut and material to your liking in. After all it's your quilt you can do anything you want with it.

RedGarnet222 02-27-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by wendsy (Post 5013833)
I'm one who would take out seams, remove boarders then separate the stripes and see if you cam rework it.I am very familiar with a seam ripper-fabric costs too much! I once removed the stitching from a lap throw I had sewn years ago-completely finished but as my sewing has improved the worse it got to looking so I spent 3 hors removing the stitches only the find I had not cut the pieces and I ended with about 3 yards of uncut material to work with. So I'd say if you can see anything redeemable to you in your quilt top, really think a bout tearing it down or re-cut and material to your liking in. After all it's your quilt you can do anything you want with it.

Me too wendsy... It doesn't take as long as you would think to take it apart and reclaim those blocks for another quilt.

I once took a santa hanger apart three times before I got it right. But, it sure was worth it to have it right.

Scissor Queen 02-27-2012 02:58 PM

I'd take off the mustard fabrics and do some kind of vine with leaves, flowers and maybe bees, butterflies or birds in the long plain strips. And I'd have it longarm quilted.

Tartan 02-27-2012 03:04 PM

If you lay it out on your table upside down and use your seam ripper to cut the bottom thread every 3 to 4 stitches down the seam, pulling on the upper thread should take the seam right out. If you hate it now, I don't think you will grow any fonder of it. The blocks on the white fabric are really pretty and deserve to be rescued.
Save the wide borders for another quilting project.

Lori S 02-27-2012 03:06 PM

If using the seam ripper has you just .. wanting to toss it back in the box. Consider slicing down the centers of each of those wide plain stips , leaving only 1 inch on each side. Insert a new row of ... something like a new row of stars in colors that would compliment the others.
I would also cut down the border fabric leaving only a very small amount, and add some of the new fabrics used in the addes stars.
If you don't find a solution sell it as many long arm pros are looking for unquilted tops to practice and then donate.

kathdavis 02-27-2012 03:09 PM

If you don't want to take it apart, donate it.

MaryMo 02-27-2012 03:14 PM

I would salvage what I like out of the quilt and make a new top. The stars look great, it's just that mustard yellow mixed with the whites that does it in. Good luck!

joyce blint 02-27-2012 03:20 PM

I guess I'm enough used to seam ripping that it doesn't bother me. If I were doing it, I'd rip the vertical seams...saving the strips of stars. Replace the pale yellow and mustard w sewn together variety of 30's prints about 2-3 in wide.