Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

sewmo 10-09-2012 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh (Post 5569966)
teflon pressing sheet,and the pounce thing for marking quilts. never used the [pounce and the teflon sheet was so stiff and then wrinkled and is useless.

I had that stiff teflon sheet as well. Now I use an "oven guard" meant to keep the bottom of the oven clean - good for up to 500 degrees. It is only a couple of $, stays nice and pliable, easy to wipe off, works like a charm for pressing fusibles.

gardnergal970 10-09-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5571402)
Oh yeah, that's me too. Had to have a serger. Have used it a total of an hour or two. Can't thread the darn thing. Paperweight!

I worked at a sewing factory and the secret to threading a serger is to have it threaded correctly initially. When you change thread, cut the thread close to the spool on the machine and don't pull it out of position. Put the new thread on the spindle and make a secure knot with the thread that is still there from the first spool. Remember it's threaded correctly. Grasp the original thread where it comes out of the last threading guide or the needle itself, and pull steady but firmly until you can hold the knot. Do that with each thread you're changing...easy peasy.

sculpyfan 10-09-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by joyce j (Post 5570214)
the Alto's Cut 2, was a waste of my money.

I second that

quiltsRfun 10-09-2012 10:26 AM

The Fab-U-Motion I got with my Viking sewing machine. I thought it would improve my FMQ but I do better without it.

DonnaC 10-09-2012 11:42 AM

Probably my two worst items were the Flynn frame (I eventually sold it - I actually think it must work great for hand-quilting, but I quilt by machine), and the Simplicity Rotary Cutting machine. Oh, I also have the pounce but can't seem to get it to mark correctly... must be "operator error." LOL

kathyd 10-09-2012 12:16 PM

I agree with the specialty rulers being a bust of a buy. The quilts in the booths look great but then I get home and can't figure out how to use them.
I do take TONS of pictures and enjoy looking at them for ideas for the future!
I spend more $$ when DH comes along than if I just go with girlfriends!

Jannie 10-09-2012 12:40 PM

Oh, where do I start.</SPAN>
The tool to put binding on, by martelli -- never worked as good as at the show.</SPAN>
Ergonomic rotary cutter -- just doesn't fit my hand like it did at the show.</SPAN>
Didn't buy mine at a show, but did see them there after I bought mine. Viking Mega Quilter and frame.</SPAN>

sewmary 10-09-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5573336)
I worked at a sewing factory and the secret to threading a serger is to have it threaded correctly initially. When you change thread, cut the thread close to the spool on the machine and don't pull it out of position. Put the new thread on the spindle and make a secure knot with the thread that is still there from the first spool. Remember it's threaded correctly. Grasp the original thread where it comes out of the last threading guide or the needle itself, and pull steady but firmly until you can hold the knot. Do that with each thread you're changing...easy peasy.

Yes, of course that is the way to do it. However, mine became completely unthreaded. And I gave up in disgust trying to follow the threading path. Usually I can figure anything out but not this paperweight!

serenitybygrace 10-09-2012 02:03 PM

This has been a very interesting thread. I am surprised, though, that so many have not liked their Accuquilt Baby/Go. I love my Go. I got it new at a garage sale, have bought all my dies for very good prices. I do know there was a learning curve for me, I had to learn to starch and press the fabric very well before 'loading' the Go. Otherwise, I have had no problem and love my Accuquilt Go.

sewbeadit 10-09-2012 02:09 PM

I use band aids for my sewing thimbles. I don't use a thimble often or for long so using a band aid really works well for me. Now if I were to do a lot of hand stitching I would get a leather one, well I have a leather one.lol

Originally Posted by Edie (Post 5572459)
I got a leather thimble, soft and the back part is elasticized and I love it for binding! I think I paid $5.00 for it. One of my better investments. Until I found that I used three bandaids!!!!! Edie