Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

Christine27 10-09-2012 02:18 PM

I have the accuquilt go and never use it since my sis-in-law got the June Taylor shape cut slotted ruler, but my biggest waste was my Artistic longarm with the grace majestic frame. It has given me nothing but trouble. I've since seen many other brands that I would rather have, both machine and frame. The aggravating thing is that the cost of other set ups is comparable to what we spent, but the quality is so much better. If only we knew then what we know now!

skothing 10-09-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau (Post 5572521)
Quilt and embroidery software.The companies change their operating systems very quickly and render the expensive programs useless unless you pay an extra $1500 to upgrade.No one has that sort of money and my belief is that you should be able to use a program at the level you bought it at for as long as you want. Of course this conflicts with the enterprise idea.

Yeap me too.

junegerbracht 10-09-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5573558)
The Fab-U-Motion I got with my Viking sewing machine. I thought it would improve my FMQ but I do better without it.

Totally agree!

carolaug 10-09-2012 02:51 PM

I love the Go...and the Studio....for those who have and and want to sell your dies. I may be interested...I have had mine for two years and would not want to be without it...LOVE, LOVE it!

katesnanna 10-09-2012 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=AngelinaMaria;5570813]I'm hoping no one posts about the Electric Quilt program. I just purchased the EQ7 yesterday and can't wait to get it. I have heard a lot of caution about how it is hard to navigate and use all it's tools so I am concerned because I do not have any experience using these type of programs on the computer.

Rhonda on this board did a full tutorial on the EQ.

MaryLane 10-09-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Christine27 (Post 5574042)
I have the accuquilt go and never use it since my sis-in-law got the June Taylor shape cut slotted ruler, but my biggest waste was my Artistic longarm with the grace majestic frame. It has given me nothing but trouble. I've since seen many other brands that I would rather have, both machine and frame. The aggravating thing is that the cost of other set ups is comparable to what we spent, but the quality is so much better. If only we knew then what we know now!

Proving we all have different tastes/experience I was going to say any June Taylor ruler but that slotted one in particular. But, I love my serger. Wore one out and use the second one constantly. I considered the Flynn frame and the Little Gracie. You all make me glad I didn't. I bought an HQ16 used and I like the pounce pad.

I wish I hadn't subscribed to Fons and Porter's magazine last year and I don't like Thimbleberries books.

Mostly I look at quilt shows.

Teresa 54 10-09-2012 04:40 PM

I use my Accuquilt go all the time, and many of the items listed above. The one thing I purchased that was such a waste of money was the roller lint remover on a long handle for quilts. What I hate about it, is when you want to delint it, you have to wash it, you cant use it again until it dries! Well, that doesn't make sense, it would take me 20 swigs to get all the lint off!

Irish Jan 10-09-2012 05:16 PM

I bought an Babylock embellasher and have never used it -it is about 2yrs old. not really into that kind of sewing - I am a quilter and sewer, it was the moment of time and bingo - got it. now I have learned to go home and sleep on a product before I jump the gun... this was an interesting blog - many items like rulers, books, thimbles etc I agree I have not used but the machine was the most expensive and waste of money...

applique 10-09-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewmo (Post 5573298)
I had that stiff teflon sheet as well. Now I use an "oven guard" meant to keep the bottom of the oven clean - good for up to 500 degrees. It is only a couple of $, stays nice and pliable, easy to wipe off, works like a charm for pressing fusibles.

I use parchment paper. Some of my pieces are huge and wouldn't fit on the sheets. I can pin strips of parchment paper together to get the size I need.

baglady65 10-09-2012 05:54 PM

What I don't buy is alot of fabric unless its something I really need for a project.
I find and I have gone to Houston many years now that if you really like something buy or right the booth number down and what was there you wanted...as you will never find it again or it will be gone so you need to go back soon after you have seen it! I have bought many things I have not needed or used yet but maybe some time I will get back to those things! One thing I'm going to buy another is a quilt hanger for doors! I have lost all my walls to pictures so still have doors! I always have a list of things to look for before I go! Thread is always on sale and feet for yor sewing machines as all the dealers are at the Big shows.