Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

DogHouseMom 10-08-2012 03:45 AM

Again rulers - especially the "rolling rulers". I suppose If I were to draw again they'd be useful - but not for fabric.

Binding clips. I went back to using two long straight pins and much prefer it. Yes - they get bent, but that is why I just bought a new box of straight pins.

Thimbles. I've tried about 5 different thimbles now and hate all of them. Have come to the conclusion that I hate thimbles and will just develop a callous on my middle finger and grow my own thimble.

Some of the BEST purchases I made: the super size Beba cutting mat (the clear kind, not the self healing), the "Spiral Eye" needles, and I usually pick up batting at the shows because it's so cheap.

GailG 10-08-2012 03:50 AM

I echo some of the above: specialized rulers, marking pens, etc. But I think I've wasted a lot of money on books -- and some of them were a pretty price. I love to look at them and read some of the basic information, but I've hardly ever used an actual pattern in any one of them.

AlienQuilter 10-08-2012 04:10 AM

I actually like my Teflon pressing sheet. Paid about $15 for it at a local quilt store. I use it when ever I use fusible for applique.

My DH bought me a rotary cutter that cuts circles. It's really cool and caught his attention at a quilt show and he just had to buy it for me. That was several years ago and I still have not found a project for this. I might next time I make a Dresden Plate and use it for that circle in the center - the problem is I like using fusible for that and I draw a circle on the fusible then sew it to the fabric. Oh well.

I don like that plastic stuff you put on rulers to keep them from sliding. I did borrow a ruler one time at a class and it was a non slip ruler - really liked it so if you want to buy rulers and you have a choice between slippery and nonslippery then choose the nonslip even if it's a few dollars more.

Make sure you take your camera - I forgot mine the last time. A quilt show has a lot of inspiring quilts and it's neat to take a picture of a quilt that has something you want to try.

Most important - have fun. Wear comfortable shoes and carry a big tote bag with you.

landers1 10-08-2012 04:19 AM

The AccuGo I really don't care for it.

Shelbie 10-08-2012 04:45 AM

Rotary blade sharpeners. I've bought two of them the last one being the Orbitol Sharpener at $37.99 and they just don't work that well. They sharpen the blade somewhat but it is just not the same as a new one. Now I look for blades on sale and stock up.

nhweaver 10-08-2012 05:03 AM

I think the accuquilt go was the most expensive item that I rarely use.

joyce j 10-08-2012 05:11 AM

the Alto's Cut 2, was a waste of my money.

Sandra-P 10-08-2012 05:39 AM

Various thimbles, and rulers that are for one purpose. I have one that is supposed to be for binding and I still cant figure out how to use it.

Crqltr 10-08-2012 05:58 AM

The tool to put binding on, by martelli, I think. Can't figure out how they did it do easy!

NanaCsews2 10-08-2012 05:59 AM

Invisigrip, Angler 2, Clover Mini Iron (prefer the Clover Mini Iron II), Martelli Kwik Bind System. I wanted them thinking oh that would be great but they now all sit there never to be used again.
I don't purchase anything anymore unless I really need it more often than not, and it has to work easily for me. I find that I can create other ways myself to do things if I can't find out how online from this board or other tutorials.