Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

cabbagepatchkid 10-08-2012 08:00 AM

Oooops, posted to wrong thread :o

janRN 10-08-2012 08:12 AM

The FabuMotion Fabric Mover for FMQ on my Viking Sapphire. When demo'd it made FMQ look so easy-just gliding along. Well, in three yrs I've used it a total of 3 hours (and it takes me 1/2 hr to set up). The quilting space is so small--about 8 or 9" so you're constantly moving and repositioning the quilt. It's in the box under the bed so I stub my toe on it every night going to bed--a constant reminder to "think and try out" gadgets at shows or shops more than once before buying.
And of course, there was the special show pricing and the opened box special pricing so it was $200 less if I got it right now and not later.

Tothill 10-08-2012 08:51 AM

Great thread.

It is interesting that several people are unhappy with the same products. I have revised my personal wishlist for next years sewing show.

Thimbles were mentioned by several people. The best thimble I ever had (yes had, I lost it), was a handmade finger sock with a leather pad. It was great. It did was not too tight, breathed (no sweaty fingertip) and worked really well for me.

I guess there needs to be another thread (maybe there is already) of the best thing you bought at a show.

I treat sewing/quilting books/magazines the same way I do cooking/recipe ones. If I get one great tip or project (or recipe) out of a magazine or book I am happy.

AngelinaMaria 10-08-2012 09:04 AM

I'm hoping no one posts about the Electric Quilt program. I just purchased the EQ7 yesterday and can't wait to get it. I have heard a lot of caution about how it is hard to navigate and use all it's tools so I am concerned because I do not have any experience using these type of programs on the computer.

However, if I can get comfortable with it, I think it will be a huge benefit for me. I have 2 huge book cases full of fabric and don't know how to use this fabric so I'm hoping it will help me find or create quilts that will work for the type and quantity of fabric I have.

pinecone 10-08-2012 09:05 AM

This is fun to read. I love the invisagrip and the blue rotary blade sharpener. Not the same as new, but it stalls buying one for a few more times.
My biggest regret is the cutting mat that turns. I have kept trying to use it too. Then there are many specialty rulers and books.

piney

Valerie Ann 10-08-2012 10:14 AM

Thanks! Your comments and insights are greatly appreciated!

running1 10-08-2012 10:22 AM

It IS funny how one person loves an item, but another doesn't... I love using Invisigrip on my rulers! It's the first thing I do... I also agree with so many of you... be careful buying specialty rulers!! Have you all tried looking at the Thimblelady thimbles? I'm not associated with her... just took a class, and LOVE the plastic thimble I bought. I'll be buying another one, just so I will always have one (I use it for hand quilting...) you can google her for more info...

0tis 10-08-2012 10:27 AM

I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.

dharinger 10-08-2012 10:30 AM

The Flynn Quilting Frame. I even convinced my friend at the time to buy one also. I could have quilted the small quilt myself in the time that it took me to set up. I used mine once. She has never used hers.

Rose Marie 10-08-2012 12:01 PM

Forgot all about the Flynn frame.
Gave mine away.
If we keep passing them around people will find out how bad something is without making an expensive mistake.