Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

Jan in VA 10-08-2012 12:19 PM

I once bought a really nice serger at a 50% discount on the last day of the International Quilt Festival in Houston.
Never could really figure out how to thread it unless I was following the video, though I did use it one time to make a jacket of vintage barkcloth with antique buttons. But eventually, through divorce, moves, updating equipment, I lost the ability to watch video cassettes. It has became the most expensive paper weight I've ever owned.:(:thumbdown:

Jan in VA

sewbeadit 10-08-2012 12:31 PM

I love my Angler 2. It is great, I am using it right now on a snowball quilt that would have taken me forever to mark the angles on and now I can just zip through it without marking, it is great.

I love my Studio by accuquilt cutting system and wouldn't be without it.

I have not used my pouncer for marking on quilts, but may in the future.

needles3thread 10-08-2012 01:47 PM

Shelbie, I love the dog picture on your avatar. What kind of dog is this?

needles3thread 10-08-2012 01:48 PM

I would not buy the special foot to sew circular seams.

sewmary 10-08-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5571185)
I once bought a really nice serger at a 50% discount on the last day of the International Quilt Festival in Houston.
Never could really figure out how to thread it unless I was following the video, though I did use it one time to make a jacket of vintage barkcloth with antique buttons. But eventually, through divorce, moves, updating equipment, I lost the ability to watch video cassettes. It has became the most expensive paper weight I've ever owned.:(:thumbdown:

Jan in VA

Oh yeah, that's me too. Had to have a serger. Have used it a total of an hour or two. Can't thread the darn thing. Paperweight!

LyndaOH 10-08-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 5570974)
I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.

I have three of these (one in each handwork spot) and use them all the time and I don't have any Clover needles. I love them!

LivelyLady 10-08-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5569962)
I bought the super slider FM thing, it just didn't work for me. I wasted my money there.

Same here.....what a disappointment that slider was.

carolaug 10-08-2012 02:36 PM

I love my accuquilt Go and The supreme slider and the gene washer. I think my biggest waste is pounce. I have a ton of ruler but only use a few. Books...I love to look through them but never have made anything from them.

carolaug 10-08-2012 02:37 PM

totally agree with this one...I have never used it.

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5571402)
Oh yeah, that's me too. Had to have a serger. Have used it a total of an hour or two. Can't thread the darn thing. Paperweight!

soccertxi 10-08-2012 03:38 PM

Two here: Flynn Frame (that I happily passed on to another quilter) and a Max Throat. It was a motor that was supposed to roll your quilt loaded on a smaller frame forward, so you could reach farther into the quilt. In theory, it worked well, but never on my frame with my machine. I could not even sell it as it was made for My machine on MY frame. oh well..learning curve!