Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-opinion-%22quilt-kits%22-t90104.html)

Jamiestitcher62 01-13-2011 09:26 AM

I absolutely love kits. I suck at picking out my own fabric and tend to lean toward fabric collections, so kits and BOM's are what I usually do. I have been drooling over at Connecting Threads too and I love fatquartershop.com and Hancocks of Paducah is another one of my favorites. I am just starting the Wildflower Rhapsody BOM at thecottonquilt.com. She is very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing the kit.

pieces 01-13-2011 09:49 AM

I have never bought a quilt kit. When I make quilts I want mine to be made with fabrics of my choice and not like a hundred other people that bought the kit.

Raggiemom 01-13-2011 09:52 AM

I have bought kits a couple times and loved them. I've always had enough material but have never ordered from Connecting Threads so can't speak as their kits.

scowlkat 01-13-2011 09:53 AM

If you are going to buy a kit, you will have better luck buying from a reputable firm like Connecting Threads or Hancock's of Paducah. I have had bad results buying kits from individuals on ebay. Personally I prefer choosing my own fabrics unless it is something special.

quiltlady37 01-13-2011 10:05 AM

I suggest if you buy a kit to make it soon after buying it.
I have kits that were short fabric, but that line of fabric is no longer available. I haven't bought a kit from CT so don't know about them, but have had some kits that if you made one wrong cut, you would not have enough fabric.

PWinston 01-13-2011 10:11 AM

I love kits. Have purchased kits from LQS and Connecting Threads and been happy with all. I had sufficient fabric but don't know what would have happened if I had messed up in cutting or making a block. I like kits because the fabrics are coordinated and much better than I could put together myself.

psquared52 01-14-2011 03:46 AM

Kits appeal to me only as a source of inspiration. I find them visually interesting but have never bought one and don't think I ever will. I am a bargain shopper and the cost of a kit is usually far more than I want to spend (at least at one time). I love the creative aspect of choosing fabrics and using a kit would take that away from me.

Moon Holiday 01-14-2011 05:17 AM

I like quilt kits. I believe some of the simpler kit patterns are a great way for beginner quilters to get their feet wet. A big part of the anxiety beginners have is fabric selection, so this is a way to eliminate that first hurdle.

JudyVA 01-14-2011 05:20 AM

I have purchased kits and find them real boosters for feeling like I accomplished something quickly...especially the precut kits...I often will make these and give them away. I also will try them if this is a new technique or pattern style for me as a learning experience. I just need to finish them for my own sanity. The only thing I find is that often the yardage for the backing is estimated to be much more than I need and end up with lots of extra fabric which is ok for future projects, but adds costs to the original project.

deema 01-14-2011 05:23 AM

I've only ever bought kits just to get the fabrics in them, never to make the "advertised" quilt they're for, so I'm not much help. LOL I would think it would be bad business to sell kits without enough to finish the top - that would upset me. I don't like following patterns, though, so a kit would be limiting to me. The only reason I've bought a couple is because the fabric I was looking for was unavailable off the bolt, but it WAS in the kit, and I wanted it. LOL