Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's a "Walking foot" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-%22walking-foot%22-t114219.html)

Zappycat 04-07-2011 07:30 AM

I am hoping to take a machine quilting class in two weeks. I called to ask what I need to bring and they said my machine, a darning foot and a walking foot. I found the darning foot, but none of them are called a "walking foot" in my manual. Is there another name for this?

A friend of mine also want to take the class and she has an old Singer machine. She says its about 40 years old. Will she be able to get a darning foot and a walking foot for that machine? She says she doesn't have them.

This is probably a dumb question, but thanks for your help!

mimom 04-07-2011 07:37 AM

a walking foot is an attachment foot that has feed dogs in the foot so you will have the top fabric moving at the same rate as the bottom fabric. It does really help in quilting, the first 2 years I didn't have one. As far as parts for a 40yr old machine, it is possible depending on the machine. I know that my walking foot and darting foot will fit on many other machines.

Hope this helps

cherylynne 04-07-2011 07:38 AM

You can straight sew without a walking foot. I don't use one because I haven't taken the time to attach it to my machine. Some say they love it for keeping the layers of fabric even. The darning foot is used for free motion quilting (regular machine quilting/stipppling). IMHO you will need the darning foot if you aren't doing stitch in the ditch quilting. You can get both kinds of feet for older machines. Have fun!!

Zappycat 04-07-2011 07:40 AM

Does the walking foot generally come with the machine or do you have to buy it separate?

AgapeStitches 04-07-2011 07:43 AM

Sometimes it is called an "even feed" foot

huggabug123 04-07-2011 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have two singer machines and my neighbor also has an older singer. I went to Joann's and bought a walking foot for about 25.00. We had found them on ebay and also at the local machine repair shop, but Joann's was the cheapest. You get them from Amazon.com as well. We have been lucky so far and have been able to share most of out feet and other sewing gear.

I am enclosing a picture so that you can see what we use on our machine.

Also, from what I understand, this is sometimes considered a specialty type of foot so most machines do not come with one.

Singer Walking Foot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180814[/ATTACH]

Sewfine 04-07-2011 07:47 AM

You can check with your local machine dealer or you can google it.

Sewfine

Originally Posted by Zappycat
Does the walking foot generally come with the machine or do you have to buy it separate?

lheartsl 04-07-2011 07:48 AM

if you still have your manual it will tell you what came with your machine, and what is avil for your machine, Mine didn't come with one, but they say I can get one. My machine is about 15 years old, I have a kenmore....

But my question is can I get a generic walking food for my machine?

Zappycat 04-07-2011 07:48 AM

Ohhh!! thank you! I'm pretty sure that I don't have one of these then!! I'll have to start looking for one! Thanks!
You gals are the best! ; )

Zappycat 04-07-2011 07:53 AM

Ooooh!! I DO have one and it IS called an even feed foot! YEy! I am ready to sign up for the machine quilting class!! I'm so excited!