Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what's the best lightweight machine to travel with (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-best-lightweight-machine-travel-t203521.html)

dlux 10-17-2012 07:22 PM

what's the best lightweight machine to travel with

I'm tired of lugging my heavy Bernina to classes so I'm asking your opinions on the best little machine with mutiple stitches, needle down and auto needle threader. I've been researching the Janome Jem 660, what do you think? The Bernette is a cute little number and the price is right but I think I've heard negative comments about that one. I know this has been discussed before but I wasn't shopping then.

Silver Needle 10-17-2012 07:34 PM

If you weren't looking for multiple stitches I'd suggest a vintage Singer Featherweight only 11 lbs. I have the 3/4 size Bernina White Pearl but I prefer the featherweight because it is so light. You might check to see which Bernina is comparable to the White Pearl. I do like the way it sews. It was a limited edition thing so I don't know which number it compares to.

AliKat 10-17-2012 09:10 PM

I heartily agree with Silver Needle. It is reliable, all metal, and no computer stuff to go weird on you. You can get attachments for more if you want over the net.

I know of a few quilters who only quilt on a FW.

ali

alberta quilter 10-17-2012 09:33 PM

I purchased a Brother SQ9050 awhile back. I have sewed many dresses and several quilt tops with it and I am very impressed. I was used to my mom's heavy Berninas as well so when this one weighed in at a mere nine pounds I was very dubious. It felt like a toy, but I tell you, it performs! I only paid $150 for it on ebay. It was sold as reconditioned but it's never been used before. It has 100 stitches and the whole alphabet as well, which I use to make quilt tags. I saw the same model at walmart for $240. It is computerized, but no problems so far. It has needle down and needle threader.

jollyquilting 10-17-2012 09:35 PM

My friend hsd s Brnette and hsd lots of problems. I have a Janome Gem and I love it , although it sews faster than I do.

CoventryUK 10-18-2012 12:31 AM

Janome Gem 760!! Brilliant small machine and a great workhorse!! I love it and take it to my sewing class every Monday!!!

Littlebearquiltingboard 10-18-2012 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK (Post 5593890)
my sewing class every Monday!!!

Sorry to change the thread, but I live very close to Coventry and am looking for sewing class to go to, can you tell me where you go Coventry UK?

DOTTYMO 10-18-2012 03:03 AM

Littlebearquilter. Look up quilting guild uk and see if their is any information. Also find out which area you are in and find out who is in charge. Coventry could be region 11 I 'm not sure but all the information should be on the quilt guild site.
Post again or do I private message and I will look aroun.

Knitnoid 10-18-2012 03:49 AM

I too my looking for a lightweight machine for classes and retreats. I'm not sure what I'll end up with in the end, but if I get a Featherweight, it won't be my only lightweight machine. I taught a quilting class once which required zigzag. Neither the shop owner or I gave it a thought to put that in the course descriptions and two ladies showed up with their FW -- needless to say, they couldn't make the class project.

totosmom 10-18-2012 04:25 AM

Dandelion, have you considered a vintage Singer 301? They are full sized machines, weigh only 16 pounds, and sew a lovely stitch. I take mine to all my classes, retreats, and sewing circles instead of my Bernina. I think those FWs are just adorable, but I couldn't find any around here at a reasonable price, so I went with a 301 (well, two actually) and have never regretted it. I love sewing on it.

On the modern side, I've heard good things about the Janome Gem, and my sewing partner brings her Viking +1 (??) every week. I just wanted something simple, without electronics.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted!