Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your favorite marking tool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-favorite-marking-tool-t132869.html)

SparkMonkey 06-24-2011 12:47 PM

I've got a small assortment of the basic "colored pencil" style of dressmaking pencils, and I hate them. They don't mark the fabric unless I mash it hard, and then it makes a fat line and distorts the weave of the threads. They do wash out, but they're basically useless if they're not going to mark easily.

I love handquilting, and I'd like to incorporate more complex stitch patterns into my quilts (I'd prefer to draw them on, rather than stenciling). I would like to find a pencil or chalk or something that can mark in a fine line, is *not* air soluble, and will wash out (obviously). I don't trust the washable ink markers, but if you can reassure me that they'll wash out completely, I might give it a go.

Any ideas?

JUNEC 06-24-2011 12:52 PM

I think I have a box of dress markers chalk - not sure if it will wash out or not - will check and get back to you

sewcrafty 06-24-2011 12:54 PM

I use the Dritz Water Soluable pen and it works great. Has always washed out for me. Just don't heat set.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-24-2011 12:55 PM

I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.

barb55 06-24-2011 12:56 PM

I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the earse it has.

Elisabethann 06-24-2011 01:02 PM

I have used Drilz? chalk pencils and like them, but the line is not always as thin as I'd like. As far as the washable markers, my girls have t-shirts that have preprinted pictures on them (not colored in) and washable markers. They color the t-shirts and when they get washed the picture is blank again - all the marker comes out - and they can start over. I think I've washed 3-4 times now and the marker has always washed out. Try it on a pillow case or something - something you don't really care about. See if it works for you.

klc 06-24-2011 01:02 PM

I like sewfine also.

quilt1950 06-24-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.

I've tried these, and liked them until I had to sharpen them. I tried several pencil sharpeners, and the lead always broke. How do you sharpen them?

DebraK 06-24-2011 01:21 PM

I like my Sewline refillable pencil. It was a gift. Before that I used tailor chalk with no problems.

virtualbernie 06-24-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by barb55
I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the earse it has.

I use Sewline too and they also wash out. They're great.