Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your opinion on this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-opinion-t59651.html)

Favorite Fabrics 08-16-2010 07:31 AM

Robert Kaufman has some interesting fat-quarter bundles available, including this one:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/pre-cut/kiss_me/

The group that the feature prints are from is called "Kiss Me" and it includes owls and keys and the kinds of motifs that tween girls are fond of.

Looking through the fabrics, though, while the designs are all wonderfully compatible, the fabrics themselves include a sateen and several pimatex basics, so these are cotton but not the same texture as quilting prints.

My question is, do you find it off-putting that the fabrics are not all the same type of quilting cotton? Does that reduce its appeal, for you? Or not?

kathy 08-16-2010 07:58 AM

I like sateen solids, I dye white and it has a wonderful batik look, not sure what the other you mentioned was but it would put me off if I was planning a quilt , I guess if they were all the same texture it may be okay.

bearisgray 08-16-2010 07:58 AM

mixed textures would annoy me - especially when being sold as a "set/group"

When a pattern has large motifs/repeats - I am very aware of where something is/hits - and sometimes with small pieces the design is harder to use - I fussy cut quite a few things - I want the whole owl (or whatever) - not just its tail feathers!

Chasing Hawk 08-16-2010 08:04 AM

Pretty colors, but I don't buy anything with owls on it.

It's bad juju.

bearisgray 08-16-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Pretty colors, but I don't buy anything with owls on it.

It's bad juju.

Why?

sueisallaboutquilts 08-16-2010 08:37 AM

I don't like the idea either. I like the fabrics to be similar. I also don't buy owls but only b/c I don't think they are attractive animals! haha Gimme cats and doggies!!! :D

Spydee 08-16-2010 08:41 AM

It depends -- I know a real helpful answer.

I have bought mixed texture fat-quarter bundles from Robert Kaufman that were wonderful due to the theme -- Asian. The sateens really popped the gold accents in the prints. The extra sheen really worked well with the group and was that true wonderful something extra.

On the other hand, I have seen other bundles that included mixed textures (again all 100% cotton) and it was a real turn off. Instead of expanding ideas of what I could create from the bundle, it felt limiting. It as if the manufacturer is forcing what they could no sell down my throat.

In the case of the group you posted, I probably would not buy it. The mixed textures do not seam to give that "something extra" feel. The bundle screams for a fun tween quilt along the lines of Yellow Brick Road and I don't think the different textures would be a wow factor.

IMHO, in the end the mixed texture fat quarter bundles are one of those things that depend on what type of quilt is likely to be made from the bundle.

justwannaquilt 08-16-2010 09:04 AM

I agree with "it depends". I have been known to mix textures such as chenille and minkie with quilting cottons for baby quilts. I think if one was to in fact use these prints for a "tween" girl quilt it would be something that would appeal to that group of quilt recipiants. Is it something I would want to make for myself, probably not.

amma 08-16-2010 09:37 AM

I would not care for the mixed textures , unless I was intentionally shopping for them. :D:D:D

ckcowl 08-16-2010 09:43 AM

I Love to mix textures in quilts it adds more movement and design features to the quilt and most people are quite 'tactile'. meaning they like to feel different textures. so i mix corduroy, sateen, flannel, velvet, wool, plain ole' flat cotton. as long as they can be laundered together i feel they can go together if the quilt needs the variety it gets the variety. :)